(ouch)shield spells and Ranged weapons

This contains bug reports which the test team have confirmed and are now in the queue to be fixed.
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

(ouch)shield spells and Ranged weapons

Post by Elenthis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:47 pm

I did a quick search and came up empty-handed, so I thought I would share.
Rilm and Elenthis had a spar, and Rilm used a crossbow. (he was on combatmode +ranged, as far as I am aware) and I had shockshield on. The shockshield still struck him as though he were using touch-based attacks.
~Elenthis.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: (ouch)shield spells and Ranged weapons

Post by Vibius » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 am

Has he the feat that allows him to use ranged weapons in close combat?
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:37 am

"+RANGED" means "You use ranged/melee weapons as melee weapons in combat" so you would have been in direct contact with the shield. (The +/- always seemed backwards to me. :lol: )

However, either combatmode gives you the same effect from shock/fire/etc-shields. My understanding of the idea is that "threads" of power reach out from the shield in reaction to an attacker's strike. Mud coding being what it is (compared to attack distance tables in tabletop), you will be susceptible to this unless you range attack from an adjacent room.

Anyway, I think it is working the way it should? Feel free to bring up on Discussion.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 pm

D20 seems to suggest this shouldn't be the case, actually, I think:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/FireShield.htm wrote:Creatures wielding weapons with exceptional reach are not subject to this damage if they attack you.
I don't think we (have yet?) implemented weapon reach, but the above seems to suggest a ranged weapon would be immune in melee.

Also, PUNCH, KICK, and the like do not seem to take damage from these shields.

I'm moving this back to reporting, for the moment. I think we do need to review when these shields make owie! :lol:

Low priority, but non-negligible. Thanks for the report, Elenthis!
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 pm

We've been racking our brains to find a coded way to fix this, because of the difference between how the mud calculates combat distance compared to D20/3ed.

I think the best suggestion so far is to code an intercept on damage from these shields if a PC has set combatmode -ranged, but we'd need to make sure it didn't apply if they switched to a full melee weapon or dropped all weapons and started brawling. Other thoughts?

Are there other shields that should fall into this category besides fire and shockshields? (You can see I don't play spellcasters much. :lol: )
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Fire/shock/ice/acid-shields. Also as mentioned kick and punch above they have there own issues with other spells and damaging overly much on armor but thats for another topic ^.^
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Yavor
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Yavor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Caelnai wrote:I think the best suggestion so far is to code an intercept on damage from these shields if a PC has set combatmode -ranged, but we'd need to make sure it didn't apply if they switched to a full melee weapon or dropped all weapons and started brawling. Other thoughts?
I don't know if this is possible, but when the character is attacking and the victim is affected by any of these spells, check that the weapon(s) the pc is using allows to be either be thrown or shoot with, and in the last case check that he has ammo left all of this reading the combatmode. In case he doesn't fulfill any of the two conditions it would be called the code associated to its respective spells.
Caelnai wrote:Are there other shields that should fall into this category besides fire and shockshields? (You can see I don't play spellcasters much. :lol: )
Acidshield, Iceshield and Blade Barrier.

:D
Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Confirmed and entered into bugzilla. Thanks!
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 pm

I think this has "now" been fixed! ("Now" actually being a while ago, but I'm just starting to catch up with Mask's amazing bug-crushing rampage.) If you have seen or see any further instances of this problem occurring, though, please report them here. Thanks!
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:14 pm

I thought that ranged weapons as a whole have been incorrect for a long time.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 am

Lathander wrote:I thought that ranged weapons as a whole have been incorrect for a long time.
Yes, and I fear they remain that way for now. Those that do work, however, no longer lead to you getting blade barriered, (ouch)shielded, etc. Or at least they should.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 pm

This includes extended reach weapons (polearms and the like), too?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Selveem wrote:This includes extended reach weapons (polearms and the like), too?
Nope, sorry - that's a whole 'nother ball of wax that we haven't even touched, as far as I know. I don't think weapon reach is coded in and it is unlikely to make the cutoff any time soon. If you are engaged in melee with an (ouch)shield, you are getting the boo-boo, unless you are shooting a ranged weapon (at point-blank range).
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Fireshield and kick

Post by Nylo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

I've noticed that kicks do not trigger a response from my fireshield. I don't have access to the others(shockshield, iceshield, acidshield) so I haven't tested them.
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Anver, Transmuter of Garl
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Luthir, Druid of Mielikki
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Fireshield and kick

Post by Raona » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Nylo wrote:I've noticed that kicks do not trigger a response from my fireshield. I don't have access to the others(shockshield, iceshield, acidshield) so I haven't tested them.
Drat, I thought we had this fixed! Has it recently come undone?
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nylo » Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am

I've got a second char with fireshield now - kicks aren't triggering a response on this one, either. I'll try to get iceshield and shockshield to test.
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

Nylo wrote:I've got a second char with fireshield now - kicks aren't triggering a response on this one, either. I'll try to get iceshield and shockshield to test.
Don't go out of your way to get these spells to test this - that's what the code council bug testing team is for! (We can grant these spells to test PCs and easily check things that way.)

Confirmed: Acidshield, Fireshield, Iceshield, and Shockshield all ignore kicks and punches.

Note to self: Blade Barrier removed from the game.
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nylo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 am

From what I've seen, the problem may lie in the way kicks and punches are processed by the engine. They currently don't seem to act as melee attacks, as they will ignore shields and flight when hitting.
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am

Nylo wrote:From what I've seen, the problem may lie in the way kicks and punches are processed by the engine. They currently don't seem to act as melee attacks, as they will ignore shields and flight when hitting.
Ah, thanks Nylo. That's a more general problem, good observation! I'll try to tie together all the PUNCH/KICK bugs and then confirm you are right...but I'm guessing you are!