Action Plan: Waterdeep

For builders to discuss and ask building questions.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Action Plan: Waterdeep

Post by Lathlain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

So here we go folks - a little later than intended, I'm opening the role-call for Waterdeep.

I'm going to list all of the individual 'chunks' of Waterdeep that are up for grabs here in this thread. If you'd like one, just post below and I'll check it off against your name - easy! Some of the areas are quite large, so don't be put off from posting if someone's already got it.

The next step, I'm afraid still needs a little work. I'm going to see if we can have a few sub-forums in this one so you can categorise your submissions sensibly, but for the time being they're going to have to be put in this forum instead. If you could put "WATERDEEP" as the first word of the subject, that would really help me out!

So to recap:
1.) Register your interest in this thread. If you're working on an area, please list which streets and buildings you want to do.
2.) Set about listing all of the rooms in your chosen area and work your magic!
3.) Post your work in a thread in this forum with 'WATERDEEP' as the first word of the subject.

A few tips:
1.) Not all things will need redescribing, so don't feel you need to go too mad.
2.) Be careful with the consistency of descriptions. Only describe sights, smells and sounds - no history or content the casual observer wouldn't know by looking at it.
3.) If you're already a builder, feel free to look around on the test port.
4.) Please be responsible. I don't want any MUD or RP rules broken in the describing process!

So without further ado, here's the current list:

- Waterdeep Rooms
+ Castle Ward streets
* Elke
+ Dock Ward and South Ward sreets
+ North Ward streets
* Langley
+ Sea Ward streets
* Damyanik
+ Trade Ward streets
+ Waterdeep's inns
* Gwain
+ Waterdeep's shops
* Lirith
* Peverell
+ Waterdeep's NPC homes and civic buildings (the bank, the palace etc)
+ The fighters' guild
* Pirro
+ City of the Dead
* Gwain
+ Temple of Waterdeep
+ Waterdeep sewer (This one could be tricky, if you don't have access to VNUMs. Maybe PM me first!)
* Mele
+ City Watch
* Briek

- Waterdeep NPCs
+ NPCs in buildings - Note not all NPCs are unique. One description per 'type' of NPC (ie. 'an innkeeper') is enough
* Melusine
+ NPCs on streets - Same as above. Most soldiers and merchants all share the same description, for example
* Damyanik
+ Pets and animals
* Nearraba

- Objects - I can't provide you money to buy these items, so pick this one at your own discretion!
+ Food and drink
* Alaudrien
* Larethiel
+ All other equipment
* Alaudrien
* Larethiel

If something's not on the list that you'd like to do, there's no harm in asking! Certain places, such as the temples that have been expanded (such as Selune's and Mystra's) are to be considered off-limits unless there are real problems with the way they look. Similarly, we're not looking at Undermountain or the tombs of tempus yet! The main thing to remember is that we're looking at Waterdeep here, and that any extensions to the city are to be considered projects for the future.

And lastly, please remember that your submissions may be altered for the sake of consistency etc. I'll keep it to a bare minimum, but please don't be offended!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Action Plan: Waterdeep

Post by Lathlain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

If you could stick to these templates when describing, it would make life loads easier on me :wink:
And don't forget to include colour codes!

Templates:

NPC -

- short name
- Long name.
- Description.

an innkeeper
An innkeeper stands here, wiping the bar.
A portly man of midling years. His expression is stern, though not unkind. He
is dressed in homespun linen clothes of muted colours, but looks to be quite
comfortable in them.

Item

- short name
- Long name.
- Description.

a model badger
A model badger has been left lying here.
A small wooden figurine fashioned in the surprisingly lifelike likeness of a
wild badger. It has been painted by hand, and has tiny glass eyes.

Room

Rooms don't really need a template, but be sure to include the full name of the room!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 pm

I'd like shops please!
If anyone else wants to do this, please feel free to make it a joint effort, we can split them up into wards or streets if necessary.

Do we need any more information to get going on this like room numbers? Or is it just a matter of listing the room name with the description and colour codes? Do you want the exits listed too or is it not necessary?
And would you prefer one shop per posting, or several/all at once?
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I'll take inns and the city of the dead. My builder port account has not been accessed since late 2006, so I doubt I still have access. Is it possible to see the vnums for the areas at hand in another way on the main port?
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Damyanik
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Damyanik » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 pm

NPCs on the streets, Seaward streets.
Life is a theatre of tragedy, so learn to laugh at the ills, or you'll never laugh much at all.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:18 pm

You won't need to include exits etc. I'll be editing the existing file rather than making it from scratch, thank goodness!

Similarly the room VNUMs aren't necessary (though helpful if you have access to them). I'll find where your descriptions belong one way or another!

I'm updating the list with the names of those who've volunteered so far. There's no time scale involved in submissions, though if you take forever I may have to ask someone else to fill in the gaps :wink:

Thanks again folks!
-Miriel
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Can I take objects and such? I can go through Waterdeep to the inns and check out the foods and come up with several types. Same with the armor shops and wizard stores if you want Lath
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 pm

That would be excellent, thank you!

Remember folks - it's not against the rules to put your name down for something that someone has already volunteered to do, though I will leave it up to you to PM the person in question and sort out who does what. Some of those topics are very large indeed :twisted:
-Miriel
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:11 pm

I'd like to do pets and animals pleeease. =)

Just not absolutely sure what that all includes, exactly. Just, like the mounts in the Lucky Drunk and the various animals that are able to be bought in Waterdeep, outside of the temples?
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 pm

probably all the horses/rp pets/and mounts like griffons and such.
I think it would be awesome to get some varienty for the griffons myself. Atm they are all like a golden griffon a brown a grey etc.. I'm sure you can make up something awesome nearrabba!
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 pm

This is one matter that actually raises some very good points.

A serious issue with renaming the existing pets and items, for example, is that any changes we make will be reflected in the pets and items already owned in game. If I owned a golden griffon and it suddenly became gold and red, I might be raising a few eyebrows!

For now I'm going to have to ask you to keep the names of items and pets (basically anything that people can own. Merchants etc are fair game) as they are. In the meantime, I'll try to find out what the official word on renaming is, and let you know when I do!

Sorry for the confusion there guys - that was my fault entirely.
-Miriel
Briek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Briek » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Just a query, are the Watch academy and Watch HQ included in this? if so you will need a person with access to those areas, I would be willing to do this if needed.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Alright. Thank you! =D
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 am

I'll go for some streets then I think. I will probably try for Castle Ward...
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 am

Hmm. Here's a slightly random question I have in the name of civic duty...would it be possible to make up a 'bin' object?

You know, like, 'please bin your rubbish or giant golems will descend on you and tear you limb from limb?'

Well, maybe not quite like that, but you know what I mean.

Just a thought ;)
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 am

I should probably post here so I don't lose it -

I've pm'd Ed about a plan to rehash WD Sewers.
Beshaba potatoes.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:26 am

I was interested in the objects, too, option to join Alaudrien?
Last edited by Larethiel on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 am

I'll join Lirith on the shops project... If she'll have me :)
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am

I'm really sorry Nearraba - in my haste, I completely ignored your question!

In belated answer though, yes please. All pets/mounts in the Waterdhavian stables and wandering animals (those rats and critters up in the glade are up for grabs too if you like!). The Lucky Drunk is technically a different area file to Waterdeep, but I'll include it in the project anyway.

Briek, I've penned you down for looking at the Watch area. I've got to admit I've not looked in there so I don't know if it needs work - but if you think it does, feel free to do some descriptions for me! As with the Lucky Drunk, the Watch areas are in different area files so may take a little longer for me to implement initially.

Elke - I like your thinking :wink: That said, it's something that's going to require some head-scratching area code and a spare vnum or two from somewhere. Leave it with me and I'll think on it when I get a moment!

Larethiel, go for it! I'd suggest you PM Alaudrien to synchronise your efforts with him though, but the more the merrier there. I've updated the list with you.

Aaand Peverell - same as above. Send Lirith a quick PM and check to see what's what, but there are plenty of shops to do so go for it! I've penned you in for this role too.

An updated note on objects, following a little head-scratching this morning. If you're working on objects/pets, I will allow a degree of renaming provided the general theme remains close! Keep the colour codes as they are and only add to the adjective, but try not to take anything away.

For example:
+ The object '{70}an axe' may become '{70}a long handled steel axe', but may not become '{F0}a long handled steel axe'.
+ The object '{70}fine chainmail armour' should not become '{70}steel chainmail armour', but could be '{70}fine steel chainmail armour'

I hope that makes sense - and keep up the good work guys.
-Miriel
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Could I work on Sune's temple a bit, Ed? Just add a couple of rooms, pretty it up a bit?

Also, is there anything else that is missing that you need help with?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?