[Skill] Circle Stab

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Manadhon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

[Skill] Circle Stab

Post by Manadhon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

This ability only works while partied. I'm not sure if that's an intended caveat, as it's not mentioned in the help file, which only states "Engaged in combat and having initiative". I took the improved initiative feat to help with the latter, expecting to be able to circle while solo, but not so much.

If it's not intended to be used while solo, fine and good, but if that could be added to the helpfile, it'd be really appreciated! =)

Thanks.
Althasizor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [Skill] Circle Stab

Post by Althasizor » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks for pointing this out.

I've edited the helpfile for circle stab to include a line about this not functioning solo. This feels intentional, as you aren't likely to find the opportunity to pull this maneuver off if there's only one target for your opponent to be focused on.
What are you talking about? What, that guy?
That was like that when I got here.
Manadhon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Manadhon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 am

I sort of envisioned it as being a replacement for feint, since we don't get that. If it was flanking, it should work every attack, not only once in a while.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:14 am

Moved to suggestions, since I think it is working as Mask intended and changing that would now be a suggested change rather than a bug. I vaguely recall a discussion about this when circle stab came in...but I'm too tired to look for it right now.

Thanks for the update, Enig!
Althasizor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Althasizor » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:28 am

Is he who you think about when we make love?!

On-topic: Judging by the helpfile, Circle stab is less of 'spinning around and stabbing' motion, and more of sneaking around quickly through the heat of battle to get a shot on your opponent while he's distracted. It does also say that you will -attempt- to maneuver to the opponent's blind side. I don't think this activating -every- attack is realistic, although it should be noted that it does have a high chance of it at higher skill levels. It makes sense to me working as it is now, you would have to be very skilled at this sort of maneuver to pull it off mid-battle with any sort of regularity.
What are you talking about? What, that guy?
That was like that when I got here.
Manadhon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Manadhon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:36 am

What I was referring to, as far as flanking, is that in SRD, if you're flanking, you can get sneak attack damage, whether you're being 'targeted' or not.

Which is rather interesting, because it appears that based on code, if you're fighting more than 1 mob, they flank. Or at least, that's the only reason I can figure for improved uncanny dodge being triggered by -every- attack when you're fighting more than one mob. (Normally, when flanked your opponent has a +2 to hit, improved uncanny dodge makes it so you can no longer be flanked..). Thus, if you're fighting in a group that out-numbered the enemy group, you should be imposing the same penalty, and thus incurring sneak attacks on all hits.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:26 am

Althasizor wrote:Is he who you think about when we make love?!
Whoa! Sorry, reading too many posts at one time.