Potions -- Quaff from Inventory

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Potions -- Quaff from Inventory

Post by Hrosskell » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi! I would like to propose a change to the quaff mechanic so that you could quaff potions from the inventory. I think that potions are largely under-used and under-valued because it just takes too long to drink them; you have to remove something, then wield the potion, then quaff it. This is 3 actions, and in combat it's kind of silly that it can take 3 rounds to use a potion. I would suggest that quaff be turned into a command that allows you to still get off one attack in a round (or cast a quickened spell). I think this would see the viability and use of these darling throw-away items increase significantly, making a better market for brewers and more worthy trade-pieces of the piling-up gems.
Jamais arriere.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Potions -- Quaff from Inventory

Post by Athon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Drinking a potion is considered a standard action and provokes an attack of opportunity. It also requires a concentration check. With all the changes to delays and attacks of opportunity, I believe that changing it to match the rulebook (and only needing it in your inventory) is the best route.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Aran
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Aran » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 am

I agree. Quaff from inv! Lets the wealthy characters have something to spend money on too.
'And Athon said "Let there be LIGHT!" so Aran flipped the switch...'
Vantaniael
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Vantaniael » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Spend it on a clockwork mechanical third arm that lets you quaff from your inventory without a full round action?
Follow your heart, yes.. but use your head, too. Take to every task with zeal and passion, but try to pair it with sage and discerning execution.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:03 am

Vantaniael wrote:Spend it on a clockwork mechanical third arm that lets you quaff from your inventory without a full round action?
"Coat of Arms" card in Munchkin?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights