Entangle not dispelling

This contains bug reports which the test team have confirmed and are now in the queue to be fixed.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Entangle not dispelling

Post by Nearraba » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 am

Hi there,

I had a situation tonight, where I was involved in a Pk. Unfortunately, I closed the screen off before remembering to log the entire thing, but I did have this bit copied. As the fight began, the first spell cast on me was Entangle. Naturally, I could not move. Until the other character cast, 'dispel magic' I seemed to get the echo that 'entangle' was removed, however I was still "stuck and unable to move."
Drexton utters the words, 'dispel magic'.
The remaining plants dry up and turn into dust.
Your skin feels soft again.
You begin to chant.
Drexton begins to chant.
You guess Drexton is casting storm of vengeance.
Hide of a deer glows briefly.
You cannot move well enough to complete the spell.
Drexton utters the words, 'storm of vengeance'.
Drexton creates clouds of acid that envelop you!
Drexton conjures lightning bolts that strike you!
Drexton creates hailstones of ice that pelt you!
You prepare to cast 'freedom of movement'...
Someone's pierce penetrates your chest.
With a sickening sound someone's pierce perforates your abdomen.
With a sickening sound someone's pierce perforates your left arm.
You begin to chant.
Hide of a deer glows briefly.
You cannot move well enough to complete the spell.
I wasn't too sure if dispel should clear 'entangle' off as an affect, since I did get the echo for it being cleared, or if it is in fact working right, but it should not be able to be dispelled. Myself and the other player were curious to know.

Thanks so much!
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Talos
Staff
Staff

Re: Entangle not dispelling

Post by Talos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:58 pm

I believe the affect immobilization remains in effect, until one tries to 'move,' that is leave the room. It may take several attempts to break free. I've take it as dispelling the magic which animates the entangling vines is fine, but one still has to break out of those now non-magic vines physically.
A goblin, a trickster, a warrior? A nameless terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. A most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop, hold, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Althasizor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Althasizor » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 pm

This also happens when attempting to dispel shadow binding or black tentacles, though, both of which are purely magical. Dispel magic presently does not seem to check against the 'Immobilized' affect.
What are you talking about? What, that guy?
That was like that when I got here.
dolifer

Post by dolifer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Same applies to the web spell, as well. I could maybe see the reason for allowing vines to continue to immobilize, but this and those Althasizor mentioned should probably be dealt with fully by dispel magic/break enchantment.
Talos
Staff
Staff

Post by Talos » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:56 pm

True. Moving to bugs.
A goblin, a trickster, a warrior? A nameless terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. A most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop, hold, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.