Question about pets

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Question about pets

Post by Sithiel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am

Should murdering your own pet considered a crime? I was recently sent to the void for putting down my own mount when it no longer was useful to my half-drow. This was even done in the temple of my faith.
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Question about pets

Post by Alitar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 am

The answer to that is dependant on a lot of variables. Is your half-drow evil? Does he worship a god who respects animals? Would he prefer your half-drow to simply dismiss the creature? I don't think you've supplied enough information to answer the question in relation to your particular situation.

That said, I do think it should be a crime to murder your own mount. Some faiths/cultures/people will certainly not care that you committed that crime, but others certainly will.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

I was killed once in Dragonisle for murdering my own parrot. That was embarrassing to explain. I really wish the killing of some animals should be overlooked. (This opinion is strictly held here and only here on this game. IRL, I love animals) Smaller things like birds, rats, or vermin should not be a crime.
"There is nothing more invigorating than challenging the elements. The feel of wind and spray on one's face and the deck pitching beneath one's feet is the greatest feeling in the world."
And cats. I love cats.
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 pm

Was your drow mount some sort of giant spider? That I could understand.

I don't roleplay out the dismissal of pets usually. I just dismiss them somewhere out of the way and let the next reboot remove them. Usually I'm dismissing them for some game mechanic reason and I'm going to have a pet with the same name later on, so the ooc assumption is that I've just turned them loose for awhile to pick up later.
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:14 pm

Was your drow mount some sort of giant spider? That I could understand.

I don't roleplay out the dismissal of pets usually. I just dismiss them somewhere out of the way and let the next reboot remove them. Usually I'm dismissing them for some game mechanic reason and I'm going to have a pet with the same name later on, so the ooc assumption is that I've just turned them loose for awhile to pick up later.
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Additiona info: The halfdrow in question was evil and the faith definetly does not respect animals, at least you get favor killing animals. The pet in question was a horse.
Ungtar wrote: I don't roleplay out the dismissal of pets usually. I just dismiss them somewhere out of the way and let the next reboot remove them.
I actually did not know that the reboot will remove them, this will help me a lot in the future!
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm ASSUMING the reboot removes them. I know some sort of game process will remove them eventually. But if they're out of the way, I don't particularly care if they persist for a time.
Drogardt
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Drogardt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:33 pm

For the record, it IS absolutely ridiculous to be punished for killing your own pet, ANY minion you own, especially on an evil character.

Obviously, there are exceptions as far as roleplay goes, if you do it in a city in front of people, you may have to explain those actions. But if you go ol' Yeller on your pet out in the middle of the woods and away from prying eyes, that's your business.

My 2cents anyways.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:05 am

If you kill your pet in an area affected by the justice code it is a crime. The solution I would suggest is removing the offense of killing a minion in evil aligned cities from the justice code for an area if it is possible to do so.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 am

Sent to what void?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:09 am

Might mean he was killed for it? Not sure. I think in that area they kill or maim you depending on the crime.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Gwain wrote:Might mean he was killed for it? Not sure. I think in that area they kill or maim you depending on the crime.
Yep, was killed
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Think that's bad? I got chased out of Blingdenstone for trying to murder my major image. :)

Guards saw me fighting it and all joined in. ON THE OTHER SIDE.
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Beskytter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 pm

This sort of sounds like something a flag could fix. Flag the pet/minion/image so that when justice mobs check it they don't react to it at all.

Like, maybe a NO_JUSTICE flag or something... or LAWLESS (or XENA for short) so that the justice code just ignores it. I can't think of a way to abuse this since it's main purpose is to keep PCs from suffering needlessly for non-crimes.
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:34 am

I think it should be a crime, even in evil cities. Perhaps not death, but maiming or a fine, definitely. Drow areas being the exception. Evil does not have to be gory & even evils can have standards with their laws in main cities. If you're in Zhentil Keep & decide you no longer want your horse, dog, etc. but can't be bothered to dismiss it outside or sell it to a stable, so you murder it, you should take the consequences. Death isn't good for business & someone will have to clean up the mess.
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus