Problem being able to cast spells in combat

This forum contains bugs which the test team have been unable to reproduce.
Emeric
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Problem being able to cast spells in combat

Post by Emeric » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 am

I was in a battle with a lower level enemy tonight, and would get the message "You prepare to cast X" as normal, and then several rounds worth of enemy attacks would go by, without even beginning to cast the spells, I also noticed that I wasn't getting any actions at all, was wondering if this might be a bug?
Emeric Ambrosius
Banak Brawnanvil, Tempered of Moradin
Firentis D'Ashar - Hopeful of the Morninglord
Ravith "Firefist" Evanara
Azawyn, Loremaster of Lolth
Nekros Angmar
Karrkun
Ralen Black
Tyeslan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Problem being able to cast spells in combat

Post by Tyeslan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:07 pm

What was your killmode set to? I've run into this before being set on killmode nofight. It might be something to double check. No actions at all seem to lean towards killmode.
Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 pm

This seems to be a persistent issue with the new combat system, and is not limited to spells but just typed actions in combat. One cause I have found is wimpy, that is automated attempts to flee will override casting. However it is neither consistent nor predictable, and seems to be an occasionally observed phenomenon from multiple parties. Note that cases involving heal and defensive casting are usually different in nature.
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!" "'Tis as impossible that he's undrowned as he that sleeps here swims." "I'm begging you please wake me up, In all my dreams I...."
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 am

Just wanted to bump this, as I've noticed this problem happening for me quite often recently, and my killmode was definitely on kill. I was not even close to my wimpy % too (I was at 100% hp, I just let the mob try to hit me for many rounds as I stared blankly trying to cast something with my slow reaction time). The last post for this was 2013, but has anyone else experienced this lately?
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Althasizor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Althasizor » Tue May 12, 2015 3:16 am

The only times I've noticed this is if an enemy dies while you're 'preparing'. Combat is briefly ended until the next round, and the preparation cancelled. Does that seem consistent with what you've experienced?
What are you talking about? What, that guy?
That was like that when I got here.
Zorinar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zorinar » Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 am

This happens all the time, in all different situations regardless if a mob died or not. Sometimes it happens when you are not in combat but trying to start combat. It happens in the middle of combat, and at the end of combat. No particular set of defensive spells seems to be causing this, you simple get a "You Prepare to cast x.." and nothing happens after that. Sometimes you have to cast over and over again before it finally fires off.

Could this be somehow related to concentration check code?
Seek ye victory? Ye shall eventually find defeat.
Seek ye defeat? Ye shall most certainly find it.
Seek ye nothing? Then all ye can find is victory.
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Wed May 20, 2015 5:55 am

Okay, I've managed to identify one cause of this, but it has certainly happened outside of this situation.

I get automatically set to killmode nofight when I am brewing/scribing. I suspect this happens just in case the skill sends a fireball around the room if I fail (so far it's only hit me specifically, though).

It has definitely happened outside of these brewing/scribing circumstances, however, and when this happens during the fight, and I hit killmode kill multiple times, I still can't cast, like Zorinar described.

Thanks guys for the input, hope we can figure this out!
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 am

I don't get a change in killlmode when I brew.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu May 21, 2015 3:51 pm

This is happening with skills as well it seems:

You prepare to disarm ...
A goblin warrior ducks under your slashing attack.
A goblin warrior ducks under your slashing attack.
You sidestep a goblin warrior's piercing attack.
You sidestep a goblin warrior's piercing attack.
You score a critical hit!
Your slash tears a gaping wound into a goblin warrior's chest.
a goblin warrior is badly injured.
Your slash lacerates a goblin warrior's chest.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Thu May 21, 2015 8:01 pm

I have had a few instances where I've attempted to heal someone and it never happens, with the same mob even. It's happened a handful of times with the beefed up monsters. Gives the "you prepare" line, but nothing comes of it and I give it about 4 rounds before typing it again. thankfully those four rounds haven't been critical to someone's health yet :D
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Lylena wrote:I have had a few instances where I've attempted to heal someone and it never happens, with the same mob even. It's happened a handful of times with the beefed up monsters. Gives the "you prepare" line, but nothing comes of it and I give it about 4 rounds before typing it again. thankfully those four rounds haven't been critical to someone's health yet :D
I find if it doesn't happen the round immediately after the prep msg it doesn't ever happen.
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Fri May 22, 2015 6:44 am

Example of draw:

Code: Select all

You prepare to draw ...
An armored death knight's crush skillfully crushes Cahir's chest.
Mynaheir approaches an armored death knight and prepares to engage him in combat!
Aramil strikes a glancing blow off an armored death knight!
Aramil punches an armored death knight's chest.
Melinda strikes a glancing blow off an armored death knight!
Melinda's punches an armored death knight violently in his abdomen.
With a bonecrunching sound an armored death knight's crush smashes Cahir's left leg.
A death knight kicks Cahir square in the chest!
Aramil strikes a glancing blow off an armored death knight!
Aramil's lands a heavy punch in an armored death knight's chest.
Melinda attempts to take control of an armored death knight but fails.
Melinda's hit nearly removes an armored death knight's left leg.
Cahir gets a warsword with a brass-accented, leather-clad hilt from a studded leather scabbard.
Cahir holds a warsword with a brass-accented, leather-clad hilt in both of his hands.
Cahir's slash tears a gaping wound into an armored death knight's right arm.
An armored death knight weaves out of the way of Mynaheir's punch.
Aramil gets a beautifully crafted elven moonblade from a black leather leg sheath.
Aramil wields a beautifully crafted elven moonblade in his right hand.
Aramil's slash tears open an armored death knight's right leg.
Melinda's slams a punch into an armored death knight's chest.
Mynaheir invites Sethrin to join her group.
Cahir's slash tears a gaping wound into an armored death knight's right leg.
Cahir's slash tears a gaping wound into an armored death knight's left leg.
You get a celestial glowsteel long sword from a scabbard etched with twining vines sprouting fragrant lilies and morning glory.
You wield a celestial glowsteel long sword in your right hand.
A celestial glowsteel long sword feels like a part of you.
Am I just reading it wrong and Aramil, Melinda and Cahir were still on the first round? I had to type it a second time, but it didn't give the "You prepare to draw..." echo.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Fri May 22, 2015 7:13 am

looks like second round to me, since everyone got a punch in before they drew anything.

I guess with all the posts so far, It would seem there's something off about the code that handles the combat delay to all commands, not just spells. Luckily its not crippling 80% of the time but... in those instances where round by round matters, I see it making huge difference
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Fri May 22, 2015 7:18 am

Sorry for the double-post looks actually like 3 rounds went by after your prep message at the top. Its late so I miscounted Melindas... looks real wierd because you missed 3 rounds of combat then drew.
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 am

Yemin wrote:Sorry for the double-post looks actually like 3 rounds went by after your prep message at the top. Its late so I miscounted Melindas... looks real wierd because you missed 3 rounds of combat then drew.
It's entirely possible I was on nofight because that was during sparring and what have you. I'll have to look back at the logs to see if I was quick minded enough to switch to kill/stun during that time. But generally speaking, with a command like draw, would nofight even affect that if the command happens, anyway when it's not counting rounds since in it's mind I'm not participating?
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Fri May 22, 2015 9:05 am

Lylena wrote:
Yemin wrote:Sorry for the double-post looks actually like 3 rounds went by after your prep message at the top. Its late so I miscounted Melindas... looks real wierd because you missed 3 rounds of combat then drew.
It's entirely possible I was on nofight because that was during sparring and what have you. I'll have to look back at the logs to see if I was quick minded enough to switch to kill/stun during that time. But generally speaking, with a command like draw, would nofight even affect that if the command happens, anyway when it's not counting rounds since in it's mind I'm not participating?
Nofight shouldn't affect draw no. But look back and see if you didn't somehow get drawn into the fight. nofight does let you perform some aggressive actions once then it keeps you from fighting. More worrying is that you were delayed 3 rounds before anything happened.
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Andreas » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:16 am

Any progress on this? I'm noticing it when I'm casting a spell and a mob dies. I prepare to cast the spell, the mob dies, and nothing happens after that.

You prepare to cast 'righteous fury'...
Naiaera's slash nearly bisects a large bat's chest.
A large bat is DEAD!
You hear a large bat's death cry.

I waited a few moments and no spell so I typed in the command to cast again and was able to successfully cast it. I've noticed this happening pretty much every time a mob dies while I'm preparing to cast.
Helm keep thee.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:47 am

From what I've observed, when a mob dies that your PC was specifically fighting. The combat ends and so all actions are cancelled automatically. I think that is intentional and a proper function for how the code works. Also saves people from wasting spells which is good.

*Broke Althasizer's copyright.

Even when fighting multiple creatures, when the one you were targeting dies, that combat ends and there is a split second switch over. If your quick enough you can actually type K <mob name> and it will output the approach line all over again.

I think for whatever unique reason. Skills and spells in certain situations just won't fire the round after they get the prepared message midcombat and I personally am yet to isolate a similarity between the times its happened to me so far to make any assumptions.