Golem-Making

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Golem-Making

Post by Natasha » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:38 am

Throwing an empty idea out there, to see what people can come up with. Most people will have a general concept from the thread name, but this is to start brainstorming on possible details.

Natasha
Elrior

Post by Elrior » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:15 am

That would be good for higher level wizards/priests of certain faiths/schools...I like it..
Derax
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Derax » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:13 pm

And you could have the stablemaster that used to sell them in Mystra's temple in waterdeep send the wizards on a quest and it could have the same chances as the brew/scribe quest where it is very difficult so that not every wizard in the game has a golem. He could send them to get parts so that they know what the goldme is made of and how to combine the parts all together. They could be send all over Faerun for them like The temple of Gond in Tantras for gears and Settlestone to trade with dwarves for material.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 pm

There are already some quests in game that allow a character to get a golem. I can think of two such quests right now, but there might be more. They are all limited to a particular guild and/or faith though and use weaker forms of golems.

I doubt it would be a good idea to introduce a golem-making trade, since it would require (a) that golems of various powers be craftable; and, if we follow the book rules for golems, they will be virtually invulnerable pets since most are immune to non-magical weapons and next to no mob carry magical weapons and (b) that golems be craftable repeatedly, so that the trade can be trained up. These are the two main reasons why I think that such a trade would be unbalancing.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:03 am

Perhaps there could still be a quest for the general public of the game, to teach about golems and golem making, even if there were no trade attached. It could give a knowledge point.

-El-