Dodging magic missiles

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:33 am

So could it be compared to using a weapon, and one shot hits a weak point in the armour(Or goes through the armour) while the other is deflected by, say, arm guards? In that sense, flinging magic is a lot like flinging a sword.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:35 pm

Well, yes and no. With a sword you can miss and with a magic missile you can't. But you are correct it is like hitting them in a protected spot vs hitting an unprotected spot.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Rotha

Post by Rotha » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:43 am

I think (I'm not sure, I don't have a PHB handy) that although magic missile is undodgeable as long as the target is within sight of the caster, it is still subject to magic resistance (not the saving throw, that other thing that some magical monsters have that make you pass a check before the magic even touches them). Then again, I might have seen this happen on things like test dummies... So I don't know if that's what it is. But spell resistance should be factored in, too.. That's about the only thing other than a shield spell that should block it.