Role playing of not only class, but of reality

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:59 am

I am a big proponent of killmode spar in PK or group combat. In addition to avoiding the code scroll. It makes the RP much richer to smote out epic combat moves one on one, but it also allows you to set up RP combat positioning ("Okay, I am 12' up in a tree, so you can't hit me unless you cast a range spell or pull out your missle weapon").
Sadly I have seen plenty of people groan an roll their eyes OOCly when killmode spar is mentioned. But in all honestly, preferring killmode stun over killmode spar shifts our focus back to PvP, rather than RP. And I am taking the perspective of pulling back from the PvP mentality, and enhancing the RPG feel (RPG, as opposed to it's bastard 90's cousin, CRPG).
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:39 am

I think one on one, it depends on the players. As it does for group combat, as well. But I would say RPing it out is better. It provides for more interesting developments, and just more... well, other people have said it more eloquently. I'm just agreeing. :D
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Sean
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Sean » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:02 pm

Tretch wrote:i think main problem was that the battle itself was done poorly IMO. Next time in such a situation with large groups, I think that killmode spar is the main way it should go.

The massive flying of code was kind of a anitclimax to the RP.

could be wrong though...

Jake
The mass of code, plus the fact that it sort of came abruptly and I forgot to turn on Killmode nofight and wimpy 0 (because I was a bit reluctant to jump in)... (Well, not abruptly for most I guess, I was just distracted... Blasted Cat >.<)

Yes, killmode spar is much better I say. Plus, it allows people to stand infront of others, sacrificing themselves for the chance for others to get in a good shot and such.

So really, I think most of us agree, so that the next time something like this happens, we'll all be much more prepared for a much better RP :D

Yay for RP! Thats what I love so much about this mud... Almost everyone is willing to put in the extra effort to make it so much more interesting for everyone else... Most of the time, at least.
Lerytha wrote:I think one on one, it depends on the players. As it does for group combat, as well. But I would say RPing it out is better. It provides for more interesting developments, and just more... well, other people have said it more eloquently. I'm just agreeing.
Really, the only advantage I can see to Killmode stun is... Hold on... It'll come to me...

A way for lazy people to PvP?

Really, if I had my choice, each and every time I spared, fought, or in some way got involved in RP that involved any aggressive action, I would do it in Killmode Spar. Sadly, however, I often end up in killmode spar because thats what other people want, and I'm never the type to disagree with people (OOCly).

But Spar mode is always better. I've even been told by an imm (who was watching a fight I was in, in killmode spar) that they're far to rare, and that he (or she) would like to see more of them. Sure, it may take 30 - 45 minutes to knock someone out, but thats almost an hour of pure fun :D!!

Oh well, rambling now...

~Sean Vallar, Faithful Follower and Swordsman of Justice
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:02 pm

The only thing about killmode spar, and don't get me wrong - it is my favorite as well - is that it's not as accurate combat-wise as killmode stun. I'm not sure why this is, but I can recall during a training session with a veteran, we killmode sparred for a while as the training session, then did a quick killmode stun for a final, fast-paced fight. In the killmode spar I was getting two or three attacks each time, but in the killmode stun, I was getting mostly only one attack. It's the same for dodging, shieldwork, ect. I think. Maybe concentration has something to do with this? I'm not sure. ::shrug::

But that could be a benefit. Killmode spar gives the player the benefit of the doubt, you might say, making battles between good and evil heroes alike much more epic and dramatic! ... Ahem. Anyway, that's what I had to say. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Sean
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Sean » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:10 pm

I'd love to comment on this, but I have no factual data to base on. None of my character's skills are decent enough to accuratly messure in a controled enviroment...

But I can say with some sense of certainty that concentration, the skill, has nothing to do with it.
help concentration wrote: Syntax: operates automatically

Concentration helps keep you from losing concentration when casting a spell,
concentration is checked whenever you sustain damage while you are attempting
to cast a spell. The more damage you sustain the harder it is to concentrate
and cast your spell successfully. Spell failure from a failed concentration
check will cost the caster full mana and, if a wizard, remove the spell from
their memorised spells. The spell feat combat casting grants a bonus to all
concentration checks.
Swinging isn't casting a spell :wink: , so I doubt concentration effects it. At all. But, as in all things...

I can be wrong :D
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:52 pm

I thought as much, but just figured it was as good a guess as any, since fighters still get the concentration skill. Either way, I can't give a reason for the difference between killmode spar and stun, but maybe that's best left for another thread. I just wanted to point out the difference, hopefully to pursuade others to use killmode spar more often.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.