Dubbing

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Dubbing

Post by Alaudrien » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:07 pm

I was thinking in some ppl's rps they can't rp for obvious reasons. So why not make a dub command. dub (nickname) which adds the nickname to there alias for you? would help for example a ranger who doesn't wish his name to be known.

dub joeranger {longface} therefore it shows longface from then on
unless said person intros you then it reverts to his true name unless dubbed afterwards!

{Edited by Tempus: please refrain from naming characters belonging to other people.}
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:14 pm

Use your brain, that's what your memory is there for ;)

On the many occasions where my brain is liable to fail, I use notepad..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:59 pm

After I finally figured out what the original poster was saying, I have to agree on the idea in general. If you tell someone your name but refuse to use the greet command, they know it's not your real name and they will be forced to ignore what is glaringly obvious, something that I doubt many people can do. What I think would be better would be a simple 'remember' command where when you meet someone and they tell you their name, you can choose to remember them as that. You could also choose to remember them as a nickname, or a last name, anything. It would also make sure you can use tells to them, since a big part of knowing someone's name means you can talk to them from far away as well as know when they're online to RP with them.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:57 am

I'm thinking it would be more on the lines of the person giving the nickname being able to "greet" the onlookers as that. A kind of deception trick to use to avoid giving their real name, yet giving the onlookers a name association whenever they see the greeter face to face.

So, player A goes, "You can call me Ray."
Player A types "fakename PlayerB Ray"
Player B sees a Totally gnarly male human's name change to "Ray"
If ever actually greeted, Player A's real name replaces "Ray"
The name "Ray" would not trump the char's real name for someone who already knows it.

Did I get that right?

It would obviously not be able to show up as greeted in the who list, as this could be way abused. So this could still be a problem.

Though it would make for an interesting RP gimmick.... the spy who doesn't want to give a real name, but wants everyone to know his alias.... or the antics Cacie and Lacie go thru to confuse everyone as to who is who.

Though I am sure there are drawbacks I'm not thinking of right now, half asleep... anyone?
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:10 am

There was once, when I introduced myself to a character and greeted her, she called me by my original name some time later.
Kregor wrote:Though it would make for an interesting RP gimmick.... the spy who doesn't want to give a real name, but wants everyone to know his alias.... or the antics Cacie and Lacie go thru to confuse everyone as to who is who.
Levine's one who hardly ever gives her real name to anyone, but not because she's a spy or anything, but because of personal IC stuff. I feel that if it is in a character to introduce herself with another name besides his/her own, and wants everyone to know him/her with said name, it should be alright to place it in that character's title.

Any thoughts? :wink:

-gissy
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Ursan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Ursan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:33 pm

The subject of aliases, something to tag players who do not greet, a 'fake' greet... all of these have been discussed before on the Mud.

Much of it was present on the old forums.. but they seem to have gone (or I may just be looking for them in the wrong place :) )

The upshot of much of the discussion was that the game owners did not feel such a system was appropriate for the Mud

As someone who invariably introduces himself as something other than his 'who' name I have to say that I do not have a problem with things the way they are.

Granted, my way of dealing with it is slightly different to the scenarios above (in that I will give my preferred name, but greet anyway). However, in the several years I have been playing on the Mud I have not had to remind people OOC more than once that they dont actually know me as Ursan.

I say, use roleplay instead of code. Educate players to not become resentful of your not greeting. Most will embrace the RP, those who do not are generally the ones who eventually find that the Mud does not suit them (or vice versa)

For me, such situations are a very true-to-life occurence... how many times do you meet someone in a gathering and only half remember their name. A month or two later, you pass them in the street and you know that you know them, but you cant recall that name.

Look at players, note their descriptions and if they give a name... try to remember it. If you fail, roleplay that inability when you meet them next.
It's a no-lose situation for anyone who wants some gentle, fun roleplay.
Remember, should you encounter an angry Dragon and your only company is a Halfling...
...you do not need to run faster than the Dragon, only the halfling.

It's a wolverine, not a skunk... sheesh
Micheal
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Micheal » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:37 am

This was brought up before. It was called the LB (Lukan Barra) naming system. When you first met someone, you decide what to name them, then you can change it with time. You will have to go to the old posts and read the details, but this is a system implimented in other muds. Don't get this confused with the rediculous LB Armour system.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men..... Godzilla.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 pm

there should be two greets, so that whoever is greeted knows that its an alias they've been handed, and not the real name. Might not cause so many confusions.

e.g. greet Isolrem gives Isolrem the real name
fgreet Isolrem Tubby gives Isolrem the name Tubby.

this can be used in many ways... 1. a nickname people use for longer name (e.g. morph for someone called Morphanger)
2. rply the person's impersonating someone else (e.g. Isolrem for someone really called Morphanger)
3. a title for when someone's name does not need to be known (e.g. Shapemaster for someone really called Morphanger)
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:21 am

Tells would not work with an alias, thought, right? Since you need to know a good bit about a person to contact them in mind...and names are a v. powerful bit of s person...in magic/mythology the true name is often the most powerful thing about a person/god. Therefore, tells working would not make sense, but if they did not, people could immediately try to tell and find out that the alias was really just an alias and not the true name of the person.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 am

i thoght one of the main purposes of dubs is so that people can use tell without really knowing the person.

after all there are people who dont need to know you too well, but you want to keep in contact.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:29 am

Isolrem wrote:there should be two greets, so that whoever is greeted knows that its an alias they've been handed, and not the real name.
The whole purpose of handing someone a fake name is so they don't know. Let me give you an example..... I lived on the third floor of my dorm two years ago. I could walk down one floor to a floor full of girls and say "Hey, my names Joe. Nice to meet you." Walk down to the other end of the floor and say "Hey, my names Frank. Nice to meet you." Neither would know if I gave them a wrong name. Yeah we have characters that are evil and goodies might be able to suspect but they like the girls wouldn't know.

I like the idea of being able to do this. But here is how I think it could be done. Create a greetas system. So if I wish to tell some goodie I am someone other than who I really am I would type greetas and whatever I wanted to greet the goodie as.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this subject has been discussed some time last year, but I can't seem to find the thread. It would be great if someone managed to find it so the others can refer to it. :) Thanks in advance.

-gissy
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:45 pm

yes, I like it if RP it is not known that an alias is what it is. That doesn't mean the player shouldn't know though. There might be some very bad misunderstandings

eg

Morphanger says, "Hi I am Isolrem."
Morphanger fgreets Lobtram Isolrem
Lobtraim says, "Hi Isolrem."
Morphanger kills Lobtrain for no reason and loots everything!

later

Immortal says, 'Who kiled you, Lobtram?"
Lobtram says, "It was Isolrem!"

Gah!

Of course immortals have ways to check such things, but it was just an example.