Goblinoids and Talking

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Goblinoids and Talking

Post by Hrosskell » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Will the new goblinoids (hobgoblins, bugbears, goblins, etc.) speak like the orcs we currently roleplay? They are like the orcs in the mental aspect, and I was just wondering how they would speak common, or, even their own language.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Goblins should have their own language. And they should be able to speak common and other languages depending on their intelligence. But all of this is up to the coders and admins.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:57 am

Goblins have their own accent just like Orcs do. And let me be the first to say even though they're small it's definetely not a "cute" accent. They aren't going to talk like children or babies. If the best people can think of is to make them talk normal but of low intelligence then that's better than talking like idiots, which goblinoids are certainly not. They are canny, cruel, and bullying in numbers, cowardly alone. Just something I'd like to mention for people to keep in mind.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:00 am

I think that goblins might still be speaking their sneaky little accented way even in their own language. Tongues tend to remain in some sense with the original language. I think of froudiness of the goblinoid and the fact that the languages are quiet gutteral. Even with their own sylables the clarity is not there it just has to be assumed that fellow goblinoids with understand them clearly because it is the ic thing to do. If they don't, then they can rp not understanding because goblin A did not take the time to explain it right to goblin b.

Just my thoughts.

On another note an goblin accent is something I've thought about I see it as orcish but spat out faster and in a higher voice for goblins and a lower more orcy voice for other goblinoids, size might be the differeing factor but I am unsure what they sound like.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:15 am

I'm reminded of the beginning of Icewind Dale 2, when goblins play a heavy role as the main enemy. You actually get to hear(or read, rather) many goblins speaking so you can get a knack for their accent. Hey, this is sweet: you get to do research by playing a game! :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Blug
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Blug » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:42 pm

Bugbears, being bigger than orcs even, might have a more ogrish sound. Deeper, gruffer, but still the same speed and uncanny accent as goblins, since, being Goblinoids they were probably raised in some way around goblins. Hobgoblins, about the same size as Humans, might talk like one of the more hickish humans would, slower than goblins, maybe a bit deeper, but not so slow that it would be unrecognizable to goblins, and probably about the same tone as an orc or human. My thoughts no the subject.
And they ran through the bush
And they ran through the bramble
And they ran through the briars where the rabbit wouldn't go
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em
And I stumbled on my beard and I had to let 'em go.
Nemay

Post by Nemay » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:24 am

I honestly think that goblins are smarter than many of the other goblinoid creatures because they need their wits to survive due to their little size. As Treebeard would say in lord of the rings "That doesn't sound right, although you are small and most likely right." As many races in D&D the smaller ones are more crafty and such and Kregor said it right just because you aren't book smart doesn't mean your not street smart. I think of the goblins as being smart enough to make friends with orcs and other bigger goblinoid creatures to have protectors but use them and get what they want. Just my two cents.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:10 pm

Just to keep this discussion on track, I spoke to someone recently on this and they did a wonderful golum impression :) Maybe his way of talking would be an interesting mode for goblin speak?
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:05 am

In my opinion I think that Hobgoblins and Goblins should talk pretty close to the same as Orcs, but tweaked just a little. I can't find a reason for having Hobgoblins and Goblins speaking any different, other than pitch seeing as how Hobgoblins can be at least 7'7 / 7'8 .. I would think that Hobgoblins would speak in a deeper pitch. And overall I think that Hobgoblins and Goblins would speak fairly slowly not fast. Baring in mind most would more than likely have a low intelligence.

Well that's my view anyhow.

Peace from the west east