Weather - How does it feel to be pelted by hail?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Weather and Visibility

Post by Isolrem » Tue May 31, 2005 8:30 pm

I am definitely all for the idea of enhancing weather, and perhaps these other attributes might be considered:

Faster dehydration in warm days
Cold damage without enough armor pieces in cold days
Lowered resistance to lightning in rain
Heightened fire spells in heat
Heightened cold spells in blizzard
Need of magical warmth or physical fire (power to torches!) in cold
Lowered mental status when subject to direct sun rays
Sun blindness in extreme cases
Snow blindness in extreme cases
Colds, sneezes, sunburns, etc. if you don't take care of yourself

Some of these might already have been discussed, or are even in effect, but I haven't noticed yet...

furthermore, specific spellcasting/rituals might only take place in one kind of weather. Theremight be occasional random events such as avanlaches in mountains, forest fires in... um... forests...
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Tychina

Post by Tychina » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:22 am

I've rp'd the weather in the past and enjoyed it. But I have also found myself in situations where I would hate to be forced to rp it. Imagine for instance, trying to rp the weather, when it changes every few minutes irl time? That would make for some seriously odd rp. Just a thought.
Lorion
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lorion » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:27 am

Usually the weather stays constant enough over quite some time. If it didn't, maybe you have come across someone who knows the control weather spell? ;)
Glim's idea about seeing in bad weather isn't that bad. How about an additional bonus for hiding, sneaking(or similar skills, i don't really know how they work)? I'd imagine in bad weather you can walk past someone with a 3 meter distance and might not see him. Just a thought of me
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 am

Could we add something so we always know what the weather is. Yeah sure you can type weather but all that tells you is that its hot and humid or stormy. That leaves such a wide range for what the weather could really be. I think it would be cool if its raining perhaps there is an echo every minute or 30 seconds that rain is comming down depending on how hard it is raining. Think about that.... if its raining really hard and every 30 seconds or less you are getting an echo that says the rain is coming down in in sheets, blah blah and you are soaked to the bone.... people are going to be running to the nearest inn to take the rp out of the constant interuption. Plus it would be more ic for people to be trying to get out of the rain. Same thing for lightning and thunder. OOhhh cool thought if the lightning is really close the game could give the same effect as when you are blinded for a second or two. And thunder could make you deaf for a second.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Misty
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Misty » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:34 am

Kirkus wrote: Think about that.... if its raining really hard and every 30 seconds or less you are getting an echo that says the rain is coming down in in sheets, blah blah and you are soaked to the bone.... people are going to be running to the nearest inn to take the rp out of the constant interuption.
What about those who do roleplay getting out of the rain in the Market Square, by stepping under the awnings of surrounding stalls or shops? They have RPed getting out of the rain, yet they would still have constant interruptions of weather echoes in the room.

Misty
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:43 am

Perhapse we just need to code some nice little affects?

Lightning bolts (zap)
Tonadoes (Broken glass flying through inns)
Flooding (Drownings in the middles of streets)
Tidal waves (Go Umberlee!)
Heat stroke
Sunburns
Wind (blows flying characters off course)

You know...the fun stuff.

~Elenthis.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:50 pm

Here is all I am saying.... I live in Nebraska where the on going saying now for 15 years or more has been if you don't like the weather wait five minutes. There have been many many days where I have had to walk to class through what seemed gale force winds and many times through rain. Getting under an awning just dosn't cut it. Most of the time the rain isn't coming straight down any way.

Oh thats a cool idea Elenthis of wind blowing flying characters off course.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:08 pm

Yeah, I can see it now....a big gust of wind comes along and flying mages all hit a wall....or the little halfling flies up into the sky, screaming AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee...............

He he I sound so mean....okay so maybe not flying into the sky, but the wall I can see.
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Tychina

Post by Tychina » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:50 am

Alright its late, and I'm tired, and I have never posted a link to another thread before so I can only hope these work. This has been discussed a bit before, I was trying to find the thread I knew of, and managed to find it plus two more, so I will post them all. Again, hoping this works, if not I am listing the topic titles of the threads as well as the originators of said threads to make it easier for folk to locate them.

1. Forum: General Discussion Topic: Climates on FK Author: Telk

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... ht=weather

2. Forum: General Discussion Topic: Weather Author: Opia

3. Forum: General Discussion Topic: Weather - How does it feel to be pelted by hail? Author: Rorix

The third one, started by Rorix is actually the one I had knew of and was searching for, but the other two address the subject as well (and are much shorter threads if you have little time for reading.)

There is a point made in these threads about wilderness weather being the same all over. Someone asked about how to RP when in the desert and it says a blizzard is blowing, and was told to not RP the blizzard. Maybe to RP a sandstorm instead. I think. Forgive me please if I got that mixed up a bit, it is almost 2 in the morning. But I think it is close anyway... So, my point, if coding it so one was forced to acknowledge the weather.. then one could not then ignore a blizzard in the middle of the desert and RP a sandstorm instead. As you would be in the desert, RP'ing a sandstorm (heat? blindness? sand-burned skin? difficulty breathing?) and code-wise you would be freezing to death, getting soaked, hypothermia etc..

Just a thought, and I hope the links work/help.
Droon
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Weather

Post by Droon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:13 am

I was just wondering if we could see affects of the weather. For example, if lightning strikes, could the area briefly light up for those players that don't have a light? Or perhaps a player could lose small amounts of health during blizzards? Anything that could help show the effects of the weather on the characters to help make it more realistic would be great.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:54 am

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... r&start=20

It's been discussed...and hit flamish levels, too...who knew ppl would be so worried about the weather?
:wink:
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Levine » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:18 am

Yeah, its been discussed, but I kinda like the idea of having the area light up. Pretty cool, in my opinion. Perhaps collect rainwater from puddles on the ground(Though that might get really spammy..) too? Dirty water to drink, but who knows? The desperate do the most icky things.

-gissy ;)
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:02 am

Minor an issue as it may seem, I've found that having the description of a room light up (since all ANSI color has a corresponding lighter part) sets the mood well
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:11 am

Isolrem wrote:Minor an issue as it may seem, I've found that having the description of a room light up (since all ANSI color has a corresponding lighter part) sets the mood well
If a room is already done in lighter colors, then it won't have a corresponding lighter color to change to.

I could see this perhaps happening this way: a wizinvis program mob could come to the site of the lightning strike and perform a series of force commands on all characters present to change their color settings, then change the color settings back after a random ammount of time set by a rand_prog.

I'm not saying I think it would be a good or useful idea, it honestly sounds like a bit of a nitemare to create. I don't think we need flashy color changes to illustrate the weather, that's what our imaginations are for.

Jayson