Time Stop

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Time Stop

Post by Balek » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:54 pm

This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time. Normal and magical fire, cold, gas, and the like can still harm you. While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends. Most spellcasters use the additional time to improve their defenses, summon allies, or flee from combat.

You cannot move or harm items held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time, but you can affect any item that is not in another creature’s possession.

You are undetectable while time stop lasts.

In game terms, this would freeze every PC and NPC in the room where it is cast for a duration of 1d4+1 rounds. Anyone who walks into the room is likewise frozen until the spell ends. The wizard is free to move around, cast spells, and use/move/get items on his person or on the ground during this time.

If created, this spell would probably need a quest (maybe one keyed to a glory or kismet check). I think that putting in some 9th level spells like this one would go a long way to making high level wizards the frightening things they're supposed to be.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:20 pm

Hmm... I'd always that offensive casting -was- allowed during Timestop? Not sure, now...
What Balek describes might more be like a Statis spell.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:46 pm

So basically any PC that walks into the room is lagged until the spells duration is ended?

I also think that maybe this spell should be logged so it isn't abused, and quite a bit of RP should be done before casting it.

I like the quest idea and the spell idea overall :)
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:49 pm

Well, the spell really doesn't last too long and it's a high level spell so very few of them can be memorized all at once. The duration of the spell is 1d4+1 rounds (2-5 rounds), about enough to cast 2-5 magic missiles or so.
Rorix
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Rorix » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:20 pm

I guess I was under the impression that you could -not- cast offensive spells. The Time Stop could be a chance for the wizard to regain their composure if a priest were to dispel or silence them, or the off chance that their +stat spells wore off.

If you did have the ability to cast offensive spells I guess I really do not see how that can be abused. Due to the lag in place on spells an auto command only allows you to cast as fast as the game allows, right? I can keep entering text just as fast as an auto command would do it for me. Maybe as a side text with this spell the 'looked down upon' for using auto commands is raised to a 'in trouble for code abuse'.

This could also be another spell that would help balance out wizards vs. fighters. They would have time where they are not getting hit to deal damage to the fighter. It gives wizards a better chance for control of the fight.

Rad Adam - the Eye of the Storm
"So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:21 pm

In Baldur's Gate 2 I was able to use this on a mage to my advantage somewhat, by using the spell that linked a string of spells together for instant casting. I can't remember for the life of me the name of the spell though. It also worked with the spell that gave less time for casting or eliminated the need for casting all toghter.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:26 pm

In Neverwinter Nights the spell is called Timestop and you can do whatever you want for the duration, if that is of any concern.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:45 pm

I think the balancing factor would be to adapt the spell to disallow attacks or offensive casting for the duration. I see it more of a useful device to flee, grab an item on the ground, recover or learn a new spell, etc. Something to give an edge to the wizard, but not be able to annhilate someone.

For the duration, besides being lagged, you would probably want to turn off the affected people's senses as well, as the spell descriptor basically renders the mage undetectable during the time stop.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:28 pm

When I used this spell in Baldur's Gate, it was usually to buff my wizard or to cast a summoning spell or two to give me some cannon fodder. Placing a few hobgoblins between yourself and your enemy is a great way to avoid getting smashed ;-)

As far as aliases go, I don't think it's too much of a problem. Everyone who plays has the opportunity to alias commands using the in game system, including strings of commands. Someone could alias something to cast time stop, fireshield and invis, etc. I think that as long as people don't use triggers it doesn't become an unfair advantage.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:56 pm

!
Excuse me, how do you alias a string of command?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:50 am

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/help/help.jsp

Help Alias:

Syntax: alias <alias> <command string>

The alias command stores a command string under the given alias, allowing
that string to be recalled as desired by typing the alias with or without
an argument. An example of the magic missile spell aliased follows:
alias mm cast 'magic missile' %
...would allow you to cast the magic missile spell on a target by
simply typing the following:
mm <target>

Use an ampersand '&' to string multiple commands together into one alias.
The alias command on its own will list all of your current alias'. To
remove an alias enter the same alias without the command string. For instance:
alias mm

Example:

alias x hug uberdragonofdoom & pray oghma I need the help of both the Grinch AND Snoopy Clause!

type 'x' (hit enter)

you hug an uberdragonofdoom
you pray to Oghma "I need the help of both the Grinch AND Snoopy Clause!"