Manyshot

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Exer
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Exer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Arrows do 1d6 but can hit from a distance. That's an advantage no melee weapon has. :)

As for the STR advantage, not sure if this applies in FK but a composite longbow will give you that STR bonus to your damage. And if I remember right, a shortbow does as well to a max of +2 damage.

I was never one to seek magical arrows, even over table top. You lose them too often. A good magical bow on the other hand, is great to have.
But with this in mind, imagine getting yourself a +4/+4 bow with +4/+4 arrows. Bow and arrows can combine magical bonuses like no other melee weapon +8/+8.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 pm

While enchanted arrows aren't exactly economical, nonmagical arrows actually are, if properly recollected as described above.
But still, you have to take the time to recollect them, while with a blade you just keep on hacking away till the cows come home.
As for your example of a hundred arrows lasting twelve rounds, I can only think of a handful of mobs and even fewer PCs off-hand that can stand up to a hundred hits in twelve rounds
Keep in mind that when you adventure, you rarely ever face just one mob. In a dungeon infested with goblins or ghasts or drow or whatever, 12 rounds is not very long.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:31 pm

Editing my post.. seeing as someone has already said something about hitall in another post :)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki