Intelligence and the new spell system

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Intelligence and the new spell system

Post by Tavik » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:32 am

First and foremost, sounds like A LOT of effort went into this system so thank you to all who contributed. Anyway, getting on with the question, the old system used intelligence to determine who much mana one would possess for spell casting and such, my question is: Will intelligence play a role in the new system in determining, to an extent, how many slots the character gets, or in some other way? I know a lot of players have spent a most of their stats on intelligence to be a better caster. Anyway, just curious. Thanks again to all who helped.

Tavik
Boe
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Boe » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:50 am

I thought I'd add a question or two in the same direction here..

What about mana + items?

What about int/wis + items?

Secondly, to everyone involved, I am truely impressed. I haven't seen it in action yet, but 200 spells in about 2 months..Well, my hat's off to you.

-Kyle
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:45 am

To answer, at least most of these questions:

The primary ability for a caster (that is, INT for wizards, WIS for clerics, druids, paladins and rangers) determines many things about a caster's casting ability:

Firstly, your primary stat determines the highest level spell you can cast. In order to cast a spell, your primary stat has to be 10+level of the spell. In other words, casting a fireball will require you to have a minimum 13 INT. If you want to cower somone with the awe of your meteor swarm, you better get your INT to 19.

Conversely, if your primary stat drops below 10 for any natural or magical reason you lose the ability to cast, period, until the stat once again raises above that level. (a really good reason to fear that opponent's feeblemind spell)

Secondly, the higher your primary stat is above 11, determines the number of bonus spell slots your character will have. For example an extra 1st level slot at 12, or one of each 1st thru 4th at 18.

As far as +mana items go, those are being converted in area code to +slot items. So a very small mana boost item may turn into an extra 1st level spell slot, etc.

+stat items will still be +stat items. As far as I know, any stat bonuses are applied accordingly.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:34 am

Trainers for higher stats will eventually come in, slowly. And then, you will not need anymore to be "in the know" and use a small quest bug to be able to train up Int past 18.

Some characters (I'm thinking mainly about rangers) might have to train up their Wis, since it was not a requirement before and is now, to cast higher level spells.

As for +mana items, they will be SLOWLY converted to give bonus spell slots. Slowly because (1) I will first take the time to observe the game and get a feeling of how powerful getting a bonus spell slot of level X is, then (2) I will update the files.

Same with the trainers for the new spells, they will come in slowly, so we can observe how they affect the balance of the mud and modify spells that are too strong (too weak?) before the consequences are too important.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:57 pm

Another question I figured I ask regarding this new system...Would it be permissable to allow players to set more aliases? I know we are allowed to set a lot, but with this new system with even more spells that list is going to become full quickly. Just a thought, thanks again. It's even more impressive than I expected it to be (and I was expecting a LOT).

Tavik
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 am

Are Domain Spells for clerics favour dependant?

Or am I misunderstanding how they work, because the spells are in my list, but when I try to memorise them it says I do not know that spell.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:20 am

Domain spells, From what I know are Favour dependant in order to memorize such spells, Domain for clerics that is You need to type Memorize domain spellname but no, you cant cast the spell with low favor, but you can memorize it
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 am

mem domain <spellname>

Its in the help memorise file but not the commands list posted in announcements.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Jadom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jadom » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:04 am

Whee, another question! :lol:

Was the Find Familiar spell removed? My wizard doesn't seem to have it anymore.