bank reciepts / statements

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Garrat
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

bank reciepts / statements

Post by Garrat » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:11 pm

just a thought...

how about the option of getting a statement or reciept fromt he bank so you know how much you have in the bank when roaming the lands.

Just a little note that you can 'look' at would be perfect.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:09 pm

IMO I get enough of THAT in real life. :evil:
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:50 pm

I 'd love to see money earning interest while it sits in a back, like ten copper a game day and such, that would be fun.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Gwain, I don't think a game day value of 10 copper is a good idea, you could log a poorish character off and then log in a month later able to buy half of Waterdeep. Perhaps the intrest could be based off how many hours are played while the money is in the bank?

Paskry
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:40 pm

Doubtful if the interest is only added for the times you are logged in. I'm sorry if I forgot to include that in my idea. i don't like the idea of money gained to be based on the amount of time you have overall played. That is sort of ooc. Maybe have the percentage reflect the amount stored in a bank already such as none for just copper, a copper a day for silver, and 10 copper for gold and 2 silver for platnium at a rate of a game week. That should keep anyone from buying half of Waterdeep I believe, but might give players away to invest their money slowly and make some in return. Maybe tie it into the refurbishment of game econonomy somehow, like the more interest you return the better an economy will be.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:22 pm

This idea will also prevent something I am guilty of: not using a bank. I find that rather than losing 20 platinum when depositing 200 platinum, I would rather keep it on my person.

Gwain's "interest" idea, would make that deposit worthwhile in the longterm, because it would provide you, if you saved enough, with a considerable weekly income.

What began as a small idea could actually have great positive outcomes - a wizard (sorry, as I have mentioned before, they are generally the height of my experience) who has managed to amass 1000 platinum (show me the wizard, please! ;) ) would then be able to leave that in the bank, gaining a weekly (game-term) income of one platinum? 0.1% sounds reasonable?

It would mean that the higher-level adventurers would be able to live off the proceeds of their adventuring, rather than waking up several RL weeks down the road and saying, "Oh God! I need a platinum piece, let's go raid <insert place here>!"

Sorry: I've hijacked Gwain's idea and have gone off on one of my "vision quests"...

I adore this idea, and think it could bring only benefits to the MUD.

EDIT: to change a heinously stupid spelling
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:55 pm

Hm, what would happen to maxed out bank accounts? Would they not earn interest?
Garrat
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Garrat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 am

this has gone off the topic a little....:)

the interest idea would be better if you could invest in something not just drop it in a bank, like the naskell iron mines or other mines or even (cant remember where it is) the huge brothel! so you would see where your money has gone not just sat in a bank vault collecting dust.

anyway i just wanted a reciept from the bank that says how much you have in there for us lower level players who only have a pittyful amount of coin...

Thanks

Just realised you could RP this buy having a quill and parchment and write on it yourself! :)
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 pm

This sounds like you are trying to suggest an informal stock market across the Realms. Is that an accurate assumption?

Paskry
Garrat
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Garrat » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:54 am

Not so much as stock market but a way of investing in something for a small return (can be roleplayed eg a farmer asks for investment for livestock etc) maybe in a game month or so.....
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Well, I don't know about you, but if a crazy old farmer stops me in my travels and asks me for coin to buy farm animals and he says that he will pay me back... I would wonder how would he be able to find me again?

The only time that one would "invest" in a company is if it is established/getting started and needed some financial backing. The financers would be the Patrons of the establishment (much like the Patron's of a bar are the drunks; and thus, a clip from the history of the word.).

Feel free to stop/correct me if I am wrong,
Paskry
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

I like the idea of a stock market with investments that are risky and decided by players, sort of like gambling but over a long term, the only problem is that something like this would need to be monitored for abuse by players skilled in manipulating code oocly, because they could inflate certain stocks outside of the game. And the fact that such a system would need to either rely on a random stock generator or someone would need to alter stocks ever so often. I'm honesly just looking for a way for players that would seldom adventure or are new to make more money for themselves instead of relying on older players and such. I think the banking formula and the idea of investing are great ideas though.