spells cast onto you

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

spells cast onto you

Post by Valdimyr » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:47 am

I've noticed that spells that have been cast onto you by other players seem to still affect you even if that person logs off.

I was just curious, from a roleplay perspective how the spells would still be affecting you if that person was no where to be found in the realm. How would they have the mind power to still be able to affect your person?
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:02 am

code-wise, the way a spell works is, you cast the spell, the code applies the effect, and sets the timer on the effect based on whatever determines the duration of an effect.

ICly, just because a PC logs off, that does not remove them from the realms. Their spells persist because they are ICly there, somewhere, gods know where, until OOCly the player feels like playing again.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Moradin
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Moradin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:55 am

Roleplay-wise, I would add that the absence of the caster should not prevent the spell effects running their course.

Were you in combat with a mage or cleric and they ultimately died, you would not expect anything they had cast upon you to suddenly cease to be.

Is there a particular instance or game source that you are taking this point of view from?
Me childr'n 'll make o' their sens yer greatest friends or yer most implacable foe.
If yer daft enough ti git on our wrong side ye'v only yersen ti blame.