Notes

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Notes

Post by Cret » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:59 am

Not completly sure if this works already, but from what ive seen it dosent... and i would like it to.

Note subject changes 'a piece of parchment' to 'note: <subject>'

Note subject a painting of a castle
-> note: a painting of a castle

The reason for it having note: put into it is to avoid people creating objects by the rename.. ie.. a lightsabre

Was trying to help someone else in this, thought it might be useful for others also. So you could pull out

note: love letter to Cret

instead of searching through 12908bnb37x parchments
Ealain
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ealain » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:49 am

I can't quite fathom what it is that you are asking for/wanting changed...

It sounds good to not have to search through dozens of parchments for the right one, but how do you suggest we do that?
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:20 am

Perhaps some kind of limited program that would specifically rename the held parchment when triggered by 'note subject (subject)'. I'm not sure how codeable this would be, especially given the necessity that it work only on parchmenths, but I'm guessing that's the sort of prog Cret is requesting.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 am

Creating a note, as I was told by someone else as they were doing it, causes text to be put in the long description of a parchment. Note subject, as proposed, would change the short description.

Ie.
a piece of parchment
look parchment
<subject>Ode to Cret
<write>
Cret is a gnome of unforgetable stature
his nose is said to cause the women to fawn in rapture
while near four hundred years old and eighty young
No one could tell by his looks or lung
Oh, the ladies know it is shown in his manly capture!

Proposed would be

<subject>>note: Love d'Cret
<write>
There once was a gnome named Cret
Who was covered in soot from head to feet
For his hammer was his lover
And the magical forge was his mother
And what lovely things he could make with the hammer's beat!

So.. when I would type inv
instead of seeing:

a piece of parchment (perfect)

They would be seperate lines, because they are different codewise (I think)

I would see:

note: Cret builds a new nose!
note: A self portrate of Cret!
note: Blue-print of a marble.
note: Treaty of Versailles

And with the short description being changed the keyword of parchment and piece would also gain the short description. Would make

get parch scroll
look parch
get parch scroll
look parch

etc.. into

get Cret scroll
get treaty scroll

Better explained?
Ealain
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ealain » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am

Note <subject> changes the parchment's visual description, but you would like it to also change the keywords so that it is easier to grab the right note from a pile of them...

That sounds like an excellent idea, why didnt you say that to begin with :lol:
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:37 am

I concur that it's a good suggestion! In the interim, I've dealt with this by POSTING the note on a board, then TAKEing it off again. That effectively renames it to essentially the form you are specifying. Just be sure that it isn't addressed to anything with ALL in the title, or you won't be able to remove it! Having 15 pieces of parchement does make it very hard indeed to find the one you are after!
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:40 pm

That would mean that anybody could read the topic of the note, no matter what their language skill is, no?

Does the rose-hued piece of paper (not sure about its exact name) from the temple of Lathander in Waterdeep works as a note? If it does, then I would rather suggest that you send in suggestions for differently named pieces of paper. That would achieve the goal of not having to sort through thousands of pieces of paper without allowing everybody to read the topic.
Ynuara

Post by Ynuara » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:10 am

I think different kinds of parchment is a good idea to start with..and would be fine if you had say 1-5 maybe different notes...but when you get more like into the twenty range and you go fishing through things for that picture of a rock, are you going to be able to remember that you drew it on the red parchment versus the rose-hued parchment? I know I probably wouldn't.. And my odds of remembering would get worse with each new note. So I would still have to pull out and search through all the different parchments looking for the one I needed. I really don't have any other ideas to offer..I just do not think that having different kinds of parchment solves our original problem of having to search through all the parchments. Though they would still be nice to distinguish a few different notes you might have..
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:51 am

Dalvyn wrote:That would mean that anybody could read the topic of the note, no matter what their language skill is, no?
Not sure, but why would it be a problem to be able to see the topic, no matter what their language is. This would merely make it so you could sort through different notes. As it is, I believe it is the same way with books, I think all of em are written in common, but even people who dont know common can see the title and read the book. The topic of the note wouldnt really give anything away, and they still wouldnt be able to read the note unless they knew the language.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:15 am

I agree. I don't really see the harm in others being able to the titles. This looks more like a simple OOC conveniece to everyone. You don't have to sort through mounds of papers and others aren't spammed as you do so.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:59 am

Right, but that would require hard code.

Hmmm come to think of it... I might have an area-based solution. We'll see if it works.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:39 pm

Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:55 am

Thank you for this :D I was only sugesting it to help others. I dont think Ive ever written a note.. let alone anything but descriptions myself :D
Ynuara

Post by Ynuara » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:00 pm

This is just what we needed!! Thank you! You are wonderful! :) I just went and titled all of them, makes things soooo much easier. And saves everyone else from tons and tons of spam.