Backstab and crossbows/bows

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Grom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Backstab and crossbows/bows

Post by Grom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:27 pm

I was curious but if hidden and using a ranged weapon as a thief. Does that consider backstabbing? Or is there a way to make it allowable if they are no more than one room away? Perhaps a ranged backstab feat ? 8)
You ask 'What is a tri-force?'
Spaki says 'But vessels for godly energies would be hard to come by. Let alone tri-forces.'
Spaki says to you 'Just a word I heard from a fellow with a green tunic.'
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Maybe Im not understanding backstab correctly but Im pretty sure to backstab someone you'd have to be in arm's reach. Otherwise, your throwing the knife/dagger at the persons back, which would be ranged then.
Grom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Grom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 pm

In table top sneak attack and or backstabbing can be done within 30 ft. Of the person. If your flanking or caught them flat footed or hidden and thus getting them flat footed you can use a crossbow/bow/thrown weapon to do an attack. I'm not sure if it fit with backstab or with sneak attack. I myself see backstab as sneak attack because not all critical attacks by a rogue will be in the back. One could be in the eye, groin, leg, and bad. As an example. -chuckle- So I thought I'd bring this up in thought. Would give a bit more of a bonus to rogues for a party I think.
Spaki says 'But vessels for godly energies would be hard to come by. Let alone tri-forces.'
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 pm

in the 3rd editions backstab doesn't exist. in 2nd editions backstab had to be a melee attack. the skill in the game is "backstab", which is ridiculously more damaging than a "sneak attack" - though you get to use sneak attacks in more situations.

at least, if i remember right - i didn't get into gaming early enough to know too much about dnd rules before 3rd edition.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Part of what I see is that at melee range the thief can maneuver close enough to strike a vital spot. Even if the victim turns suddenly, the thief is close enough to compensate and give the strike. From bow distance any sudden movement by the victim would easly spoil the shot. It might still strike, but the chance of it being in the critical spot on a moving victim from so far away is practically nill.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Grom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Grom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Aye. It can but there is still that chance of it hitting. I wish the term for backstab was changed to sneak attack. Then the ranged attack would work. A bow/crossbow shot could still hit as a sneak attack and still damage just as good that is why it has to be within the 30 ft. I could see it having an extra penalty to it though. I thought it would be a good idea. It adds a bit more versatility to rogues in game. Right now all we have is picking locks and disarming traps and other classes can emulate the locks. Rangers have a nice long range with bows while rogues wouldn't have that they would have the chance for a closer encounter to hit for a critical shot taking down a key person before the rest if any of the other fellows could react. As Lathander said if they moved it could spoil the shot but any good archer if taking it slow could compensate for wind and movement if they studied them long enough before striking. The difficulty of this could be made with a bigger chance to miss with ranged weapons. As well. -chuckle- It was just a thought anywho.

If sneak attack was ever implemented would ranged weapons then be allowed to hit?

Is what I think I am really trying to get at. 8)
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Doesn't the precise shot feat cover this though? There are many feats associated with bows.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:18 am

Lathander wrote:Doesn't the precise shot feat cover this though? There are many feats associated with bows.
I don't know how Precise Shot works here, but in 3E it only negates the -4 penalty to hit for firing into a melee.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard