What to do with junk

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Raona
Staff
Staff

What to do with junk

Post by Raona » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 pm

With the game crashing less often (yay!), "garbage" tends to build up on the streets and roads. That is, someone pitches a zero-resale value object, like a beltpouch, an adventurer's guide, an empty rum bottle, or other equipment. What's the right thing to do? Just leave it be? I know as a new player I'd pick this stuff up, hoping it was of value. I'd personally like to save the next newbie from the same fate.

Is it OK to give it to merchants/mobs, if they won't buy it?

Sacrifice can be a bad idea with certain objects, and may generate nuisance logs. Burning items may as well.

Other solutions to this issue? (Or am I the only street sweeper? ) :wink:
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Sacrifice is, in my opinion, always inappropriate for removing objects. Sacrifice means ritually destroying something (a corpse or an object) in the name of your god. I doubt any god would appreciate the sacrifice of a worthless object.

Junk is bad too, because it's entirely OOC.

Good options include: bury the objects, burn the objects (best), give the objects to mobs.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:30 pm

You could always carry them around in your inventory and give the thieves something to steal. Maybe even put them all in a pack! :lol:
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:10 pm

Lathander wrote:You could always carry them around in your inventory and give the thieves something to steal. Maybe even put them all in a pack! :lol:
Trust me, I already carry around a boatload of worthless junk! Raona is listed under "packrat" in the FK olde English dictionary!

Is JUNK the appropriate way to deal with bug/duplicate items, like double portfolios, or bug-bonus quest items, as opposed to SACRIFICE?

Thanks for the replies!

EDIT: To remove IC information!
Last edited by Raona on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Double portfolios are not OOC duplicates; they are IC.

For "OOC objects" (duplicate items, bugs, ...), I would think that burning/sacrificing/junk works ... or you can give them to an imm.

As for book burning angering Oghma, that's indeed IC; that's something that characters/players have to figure out on their own. :)
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 pm

Beltpouches on the street... Sounds alot like your in a well traveled city. Im no expert, however with such a population and diverse culture of Waterdeep. Garbage would pile up on the streets. Horse manure, old news papers, and junk.. perhaps they should b on the ground :D Not that I am for littering, however, its something that affects hub-cities.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Dalvyn wrote:Double portfolios are not OOC duplicates; they are IC.
Oh! Ok...
Dalvyn wrote:As for book burning angering Oghma, that's indeed IC; that's something that characters/players have to figure out on their own. :)
Ooops. I've removed my reference to it...maybe you can remove yours? :oops:
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 am

Can't deny the usefulness of a good shovel in your pack for just such an occassion.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Jaenoic
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Jaenoic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:05 am

If I recall correctly junk was removed from the game some time ago, unless I'm mistaken/it was added back in. I'd like to say that junk can sometimes be very useful for IC purposes, for example if there's tons of manure on the street and you smote pushing it with your foot into a sewer grate. Then junk manure. Or smote picking up a stray piece of newspaper and placing it into a trash can, then junk newspaper. It's nothing major, but I always considered junk to not be entirely OOC and I always found it to be a useful command.
Sindri
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Sindri » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:14 pm

I didn't know the "junk" command even existed -- could it be added to the help files?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:50 pm

It was in for a while, but then was removed as OOC (at least for PCs), so I don't know if it needs a helpfile unless it's added back in.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:19 pm

I, for one, think that the negative aspects of "junk" far outpass its positive aspects.

You can get rid of manure by effectively moving it to the sewers; you can get rid of the newspaper by burning/burying it.

To me, junk is a purely OOC command that can be used to get rid of objects that shouldn't disappear easily (e.g., kill a mob, then junk the corpse).
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:47 am

Create a streesweeper mob that picks up stuff on the street
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:04 am

Isolrem wrote:Create a streesweeper mob that picks up stuff on the street
Wouldn't be hard to do. A few mobs around the world already pick stuff up randomly (or they did before I left). Was always an experience killing one of the mobs with that habbit...never knew what you would loot.

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:25 am

Nysan wrote:
Wouldn't be hard to do. A few mobs around the world already pick stuff up randomly (or they did before I left). Was always an experience killing one of the mobs with that habbit...never knew what you would loot.
Only problem with those was that sometime they'd pick up valuable/quest items and then junk them upon death...making it impossible to get anything they picked up that you didn't want them to take unless you had request/demand/steal/imm. help.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:39 pm

Hviti wrote:
Nysan wrote:
Only problem with those was that sometime they'd pick up valuable/quest items and then junk them upon death...making it impossible to get anything they picked up that you didn't want them to take unless you had request/demand/steal/imm. help.
Or...flag it so the mob doesnt pick it up.

Zuldere
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Zuldere » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:08 pm

I recall there used to be a sweeper guild of sort perhaps it can expand a bit to include streetsweeper for those lv pc looking for funds.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:43 pm

i dont think sweepers are supposed to junk upon death
edit: how about they store all the junk they find in a landfill sorta place and players can go there to dig before the next crash/copyover
Chars: Aryvael et all.