Area description

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Area description

Post by Toronar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:41 am

The description of the area should give more hint about the location, unless it is a secret, hidden place.
For instance i have had hard time to find Tantras, even with the help of a Forgotten Realms map what i downloaded from internet, because i am not an FR expert. My character is (he has map after all) but i am not. I can tell you where is New York or Mexico City, but how do i know where are Mithril Halls unless you mark it on your map?
I personally think all area descriptions (including high level ones) should give a general idea about their location, but it is especially reasonable in case of low or mid level ones.
But well, this is an idea only.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:16 pm

So your talking mostly wilderness descriptions? True it would be nice to get more details and less cookie cutter wilderness descriptions think on the scope of the map you have seen. There are a heck of a lot of rooms. Now let me pose this question, if I were to be standing thirty miles southeast of Waterdeep in the middle of a forest or plain, what would I see. Actually in that instance you might actually be able to se Mount Waterdeep, but there you go it would be way off in the distance. Now take tantras, and start to answer these same sort of questions, is it in any way noticable from a distance?
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Toronar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Ohh, no, im sorry.
I was talking about the help 'area' description.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:44 pm

Think he means the help files themselves for the areas; example 'help mithril halls' or 'help waterdeep'.

My thoughts on it are simple enough. Low level dungeon areas or any city should have fairly easy to follow info on their location in help files. These are common knowledge locations and any adventurer right out of the newbie area shouldn't have to do too much leg work to find out where... Berdusk is for example.

Higher level dungeons and some of the more out of the way locations like certain shrines and temples should be vague in help file details, sort of pushing the player to seek other players for the knowledge. Usually unmentioned or forgottens areas should be found in game since they are not common knowledge.

Note: Some cities, such as Mithril Halls (Settlestone mostly for non-dwarves) and Golden Oaks should have vague details. These are not common knowledge spots and you should find out where they are IC.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Area description

Post by Raona » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:40 pm

Toronar wrote:For instance i have had hard time to find Tantras, even with the help of a Forgotten Realms map what i downloaded from internet, because i am not an FR expert.
I think a good fix for this problem (because for many it would otherwise mean reading through a lot of stuff they already know) is to feel free to do some OOC brushing up on the FR world. Wikipedia is one good source; see also the World section of Oghma's Corner in the Forums. Found there, and hopefully directly helpful to your predicament,
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_ma ... ge_150.jpg
(Warning, large image: 6MB)
Welcome aboard!
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Toronar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:44 am

In opposition to you, i think a good fix is to modify the help files, and describe the accurate or less accurate location of the areas. Or modify the world map, the question-mark should display (if nothing else) the zone name.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:04 am

I'm not sure that adjusting the Help Files would aid someone in your particular predicament, that is: someone who is unfamiliar with the Forgotten Realms setting on which our game is based.
The Help File 'Help Tantras' already wrote:Tantras
A large, walled city on the Sea of Fallen Stars, South and West of
Zhentil Keep
Now apart from the fact that it should be saying South and East of Zhentil keep and not West (Raona, could you fix that in the file :) ) we could say that it is in Impiltur which is to the East of Sembia and across the Dragons Reach.

But that is no clearer a set of directions to someone who does not know those places either.

Are you asking for locations to be OOCly stated? That is, Tantras is 86 squares East and 35 sqaures South from Waterdeep or something similar.

Being a roleplay game, my preference would always be for players to learn about the world from other players and involve other players in their exploration.

If OOCly you are unfamiliar with the world, then you can use that ICly to create some interesting roleplay. Putting it all on a plate in the Help Files would defeat that object somewhat.

Failing that, using a search engine to find out about a place and/or find maps of the world in which you're playing can also be far more fun than reading it in a help file.

I have a PDF of the Faerun Atlas world map if you or anyone else might find that useful. Feel free to PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it over.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Toronar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Well, i did my suggestion, linking a city name to the question-marks on the html map is not that hard work.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm

A great deal of the question marks on the asci maps are interactive, if you click on them a available city map will pop up.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Toronar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 am

Believe it or not, i am aware of it. A great deal of.. khmm.. 6 question marks are interactive, and about 42 are not.
It is up to you if you want to change it or not.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Again, please moderate tone and content when responding to posters' genuine attempts to explain game mechanics and/or assist you in putting your ideas forward for the game.

Sarcasm and truculence are not helpful and your posts currently are a cause for concern.

The current Admin team has a long standing policy of not locking threads, moderating posts or denying players the opportunity to comment. This includes not having had to remove a player from the forums in many many years.

Please do bear this all in mind in your future posts.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Toronar
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Toronar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Please forgive me for my sarcasm, let me repeat it without any sarcasm:
You probably think i believe i invented something new with the interactive question-marks, and you wanted to point the fact, you did it alredy. I didn't believe i invented anything.
I have noticed the interactive ones, and they are helpful. But there are a lots of other, not interactive marks as well. I guess you didn't make them interactive because the lack of good quality maps of those areas. You might even have a plan to make new maps in the distant future.
My opinion is, if you don't have a map, then display/link the name of the area (to question-marks), or if you feel it weird, then the name and a short description of the area. That is better than nothing (much better).