Carts Carry Limit

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Carts Carry Limit

Post by Selveem » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:59 pm

With the change of the carrying capacity of mounts (specifically Warhorses from Swordspoint Hall - that's the only one I have tested) being significantly reduced (nullified?) it's left many of us without a way to handle the bags that _were_ on our horses.

On Selveem, this is most definitely the case. I have a lot of things I have amassed over the years on Selveem that he ICly would be disinclined to be rid of. Mundane items and magical alike. He keeps these with him. Originally his horse carried them for lack of a better storage space (houses were too expensive, and even still, I can't think of a place Selveem could consider a permanent residence aside from inside a Tempus Temple). Now, with this recent change I've been trying to relocate all of his bags into the most expensive cart I could find (assuming it was the biggest as there's no IC way for PCs to tell which cart holds how much).

My cart can hold a whopping two bags.. That's it. And, honestly, there's not all THAT much in those two bags. :/

I understand there is the storage agency in Shadowdale. I would however like to make a few points:
  • From what I understand of Shadowdale, Evils should be fairly wary of walking about that specific location. There are some fairly strong, key, good-aligned NPCs stationed there.

It's been suggested that players abstain from putting any important/quest items in the storage. (No update to my knowledge).
Is there any chance that cart limits can be increased for those of us who at present must lead a nomadic lifestyle?
Last edited by Selveem on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Carts Carry Limit

Post by Glim » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm

I would agree with this. Many player's cannot afford houses and have alot of stuff that they accumulate over the years. Shadowdale also isn't a very friendly city to evils. I would, perhaps still use the storage area, but I also don't necessarily don't feel safe relying on something that isn't tied to my pfile. I would also rather lose things because of my own fault, not because I try to rely on something coded in the game that had a small bug and lost everything.

I am not saying that will happen, I am just saying I would be a bit more inclined to use the storage place in Shadowdale if I had a few more assurances.

Barring this, I also think that carts simply don't hold enough and it seems like every time I take something out, something has changed so that the capacity is even smaller and i can't put it back.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Glim wrote:I would agree with this. Many player's cannot afford houses and have alot of stuff that they accumulate over the years.
Glim wrote:I would, perhaps still use the storage area, but I also don't necessarily don't feel safe relying on something that isn't tied to my pfile. I would also rather lose things because of my own fault, not because I try to rely on something coded in the game that had a small bug and lost everything.
That's one of the main reasons I kept my things on my person as well..

You make a good point! *petitions for Bags of Holding!* <3 *evil grin*
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Enig » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 pm

It's only going about half-way across the problems you guys have presented but what about the idea of either moving the storage company or creating a competing storage company in a more neutral city, like Westgate? :)
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Many player's cannot afford houses and have alot of stuff that they accumulate over the years.
Sell some of the accumulated loot to help pay for the house?
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Selveem wrote:On Selveem, this is most definitely the case. I have a lot of things I have amassed over the years on Selveem that he ICly would be disinclined to be rid of. Mundane items and magical alike.
Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I feel a character should always act in character. A house, still, does not have the safety of a pfile. It's hard to just trust that leaving something in a house makes it completely secure.

In any case, this post was about the carrying capacity of carts. The problem is they appear to hold far too little realistically.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:54 am

To detract a moment I would point out that the imms and admins have made a conscious effort to retrieve or replace things lost in crashes or from housing problems ooc in nature. It is no longer the case that if you lost it in a crash or something else out of character that it would not be replaced eventually. Things happen, we work hard to correct them as best we can.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:14 am

That does reassure me a bit, Oghma. One thing though, should we keep logs of the items that are put in or do you know if it is logged for us?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Liandria
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Liandria » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:47 am

Regardless of the answer: As a general rule, applying to things outside the MUD as well, never ever depend on someone else to keep a record of something for you, it's always a good idea to "CYA" (Cover Your ...ahem... behind) as we called it in my former occupation. If it's important to you, keep a backup of what you had just in case. If it's real important keep a couple in different places. I remember when a medical unit lost a copy of a man's shot records, he got a full 2 years worth of immunizations in one weekend because he didn't keep a copy himself and couldn't prove he had been immunized for anything.

I'm sure the Immortals are reliable and well intentioned, but it's always best to have a backup. When anyone manages a lot of files, there's a chance of accidental deletion or damage to the files.

Sairaven set me up with a nice logging code for the Zmud client if you use it.

Pattern: You have chosen to play (%w).
Value: #log logs/FK%1%time( yyyy-mm-dd)

Options:
[ ] Case Sensitive
[ ] ANSI Trigger
[ ] Temporary
[ ] Verbatim
[X] Trigger on Trigger

Trigger On:
[X] Newline
[ ] Prompt
[ ] Line Color

This auto creates a new text document for each character you log in that day, and saves it with a date stamp and the character's name. It's very handy.
Liandria, Servant of Mystery
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Good technical advice Liandira, thank you. Yes, we replace items lost due to ooc issues MOST of the time, not all of the time. We do take a few minutes to assure ourselves that it was lost to game error and not PC error. "Um, yeah, I didn't really mean to smelt down my ubersword of doom, can I have three more please?" Even then, we'll sometimes replace it. We do not generally keep logs of what items an individual PC owns. We do keep pfiles with those things in it, but they are a pain to access and restore. Often times with such a restoration the player loses something else in the process (e.g. levels, exp, etc.) It is BEST to keep a current log of your possessions - Weekly, monthly, whenever you get something new that you want to keep, whatever works for you.

As for carts, any volunteers to do some leg work? Buy every cart you can find in the game, determine both how many items it can hold and how much weight. Perhaps fill it to the brim with multiples of the same item. Then post here as listing of what you find. It might give the imms who make such changes a starting point to look into it.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:55 pm

I took the time to sample our carts and posted a solution to the bug/enhancement tracker. I feel the problem is that a carts carry weight doesn't take into account it's size. But that is just my opinion.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:00 pm

I appreciate the help.

Thank you.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:38 pm

I was just curious if there has been any changes to the cart carry limit. I am afraid to start moving my bags around until I know for sure they can be.

Could anyone let me know?
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:52 pm

I just tried moving to a bigger cart, because I'd maxed out my small one...and the big one wouldn't hold any more than the small one (perhaps less), so this still seems to be an issue. I'd not suggest any relocations for the moment.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Not to sound too horribly impatient, but still no update on carts by any chance?

I've started trying to save up for a house, but the price tag is rather daunting. So, in the meantime I must suffer with not being able to move around my equipment.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 pm

I know old Gilain's cart is too small for my tastes. And it still having problems identifying size, apparently. For example, I can place a bag full of arrowhead (3 or 4 hundred arrowheads) in the cart but, take the pack out and try moving the arrowheads from the pack to the cart and the cart will not hold them all. Looks like a size/weight mix-up somewhere.

And I am still annoyed my dwarf can pull some carts but not others, but thats a different cart issue. :mrgreen:
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Nysan wrote:And I am still annoyed my dwarf can pull some carts but not others, but thats a different cart issue. :mrgreen:
Might be because Dwarves are still outdatedly small-sized.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Selveem wrote:
Nysan wrote:And I am still annoyed my dwarf can pull some carts but not others, but thats a different cart issue. :mrgreen:
Might be because Dwarves are still outdatedly small-sized.

It is, no questions there. But my complaints end at cart pulling. I am not on the bandwagon with the whole "make us bigger" movement. If Gilain could pull a few more types of carts, I'd be content.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Anyone know if carts' carry limit has been adjusted, by any chance? I don't know if any builders have had a chance to look at it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:00 pm

I hate to be persistent.. <3 My carry weight is painful on a few characters due to heavy armors. Carrying excess makes it worse. Anyone know about this yet?