shortage of components?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Ilnthis
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

shortage of components?

Post by Ilnthis » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:52 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I did a search and couldn't find anything on it, so here goes. I have noticed a severe shortage of certain components, such as earthstones in particular. Is this intentional to maybe raise the rareness of the items or just something that happened for reason(s) unknown? Just curious about it, and thought I would post the question about it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: shortage of components?

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:16 am

Mainly it is because such components are used by many spells, do not have many charges, or are difficult to get. Or a combination of the above. :)
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:04 am

the recent shortage is rediculous and we find out how hard they are to get in game when the two PC shops who sell components.... don't get stocked.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:29 am

There is a reliable mobile shop keeper that sells them. Though I am not opposed to seeing them widely distributed.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:43 am

One I can think of that is used very often requires you to do some quests as well as take another character into a dangerous place to get.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 am

I have to agree with this post. In general it is possible to get most components in the "wild" somewhere in the game , or some can be made using the precision forges. Getting them this way rather than from shops is a good thing, even if some of them are hard to find and can incourage IC player tradeing. But there are two or three components that should be generally available that are as far as i know impossible to get.

Off the top of my head my top three would be.

Sturdy Nails,
Darts (player constructed ones don't work, which would be the ideal soloution)
Adders stomach

Duranamir
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Sturdy nails, not impossible. You just have to know where to go. I agree with the other two though.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Add Earthstones to that mix
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:44 pm

If you ever need any components, just let "Fox" (Xaden) know. He'll kill a couple wizards for you. =)

*ducks*

You know, on my wizard I generally never had problems getting components, so I can't really speak for now, but ideally what I would like to see is the following:

Precious materials/crafted items:

Available in shops, but at a high cost.
Available in the wild, but in dangerous places (high level quest areas and the like - sort of like if you want Dragon's blood, you should kill a Dragon).
(Crafted specifically) Easily accessable components for players to craft them. (Like Dalvyn's earthstone example where pebbles are very easily found, but there is work involved in the creation of earthstones).

Normal materials/crafted items:

Available in shops at a fairly cheap cost.
Easily available in the wild in common places (such as how berries and smooth stones/pebbles are available in the wild), but scattered.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:23 pm

The only component I have ever had a problem getting is yuan-ti eyes.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:48 pm

You generally get them on yuan-ti. :)

For all the -stone components, something is in the work (should be in the game by the end of next week, possibly sooner).
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Thank you for those enlightening words, Dalvyn :P *grin*

My point was that they are the hardest for me because yuan-ti are fairly difficult to get to. And there are no tribes in Chult I can slaughter just for the luxury of caster my spells :(
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Please remember those of us who do not enter cities or try our darndest not to enter cities. While a few of the hard to find out of city components has been added to some wild's stores there are still others we can't obtain right now without finding someone to scurry into the city for us or take a wild ride outselves. *shameless plug*
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:40 pm

The "added thing" does not require you to enter cities. Actually, it requires you to leave cities.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:47 pm

A new entrance to UM? :P
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:19 am

Yay! Love you Dalvyn for that!
Emrys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Emrys » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Leave cites?

Me skeered.
The truth cant hurt you its just like the dark
It scares you witless
But in time you see things clear and stark
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:43 am

I think an important point to keep in mind is what the purpose of spell components is. For the /vast/ majority of spells, they are just fluff that helps to describe the nature of magic and component using casters...that can occasionally be used as a story catalyst with any prolonged removal from any major market.

For all but the most powerful of spell components (and even for most of those, when speaking in regards to Waterdeep) they should be so easy to obtain that even nonwizards know where to get them. I think it's difficult to expect a playerbase of 50 to 60 players to demonstrate the vast commerce of Waterdeep. I know plenty of people are for player driven markets and stuff, but all that favors are players who have been around the block and know where to find everything no matter what you're looking for. In Waterdeep, or really any city of import, getting components shouldn't be something that groups of adventurers rally behind to go quest for...just seems silly to me.

It's nice to say things like "well if someone would just make a shop and stock it with enough of everything to support the playerbase, it'd be fine". And when people hear that, they think it sounds cool that it's all player run market, and it does sound cool, admittedly...but all it really does is put a ton of weight on one or two player's shoulders to help represent a market that has something like 300,000 people and a significant portion of that adventurers.

Why not just make a shop that restocks itself, or can be restocked by an admin/imm command?
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Jaenoic
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Jaenoic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:30 am

Why not just make a shop that restocks itself, or can be restocked by an admin/imm command?
Actually... There is such a place. It's called Mystra's Gifts. =) It's technically a PC's shop, with a storeroom that is able to be restocked by an imm.
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 am

heh awesome - we could just use that then.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?