[Trade] Fletching

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Saranya
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [Trade] Fletching

Post by Saranya » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:40 pm

400 arrows is...a lot. Recently I heard grumbling about a component required for this trade being at sudden shortage, which would be the first shortage of this particular item that I have EVER heard of. I cringe to think of the strain bulk construction would cause.

Ordinarily, I might suggest that if someone is going through so many arrows we need to tweak the damage...but then again it's a high damage skill already and I have seen what the Warden can take down with just three or four arrows. :shock:

I'll probably catch heck for this, but I'm going to say it anyhow. I think a certain new ranger might want to cool down a bit, not just in fletching, but everything else too. (Except maybe sitting quietly, hugging a tree, and reflecting on *balance*. 8) )

Is the Council just letting youngsters run wild these days? Maybe we need to re-visit THAT again! :twisted:

(*runs and hides from Janon*)
Erwyth
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Erwyth » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Saranya wrote:400 arrows is...a lot. Recently I heard grumbling about a component required for this trade being at sudden shortage, which would be the first shortage of this particular item that I have EVER heard of. I cringe to think of the strain bulk construction would cause.

Ordinarily, I might suggest that if someone is going through so many arrows we need to tweak the damage...but then again it's a high damage skill already and I have seen what the Warden can take down with just three or four arrows. :shock:

I'll probably catch heck for this, but I'm going to say it anyhow. I think a certain new ranger might want to cool down a bit, not just in fletching, but everything else too. (Except maybe sitting quietly, hugging a tree, and reflecting on *balance*. 8) )

Is the Council just letting youngsters run wild these days? Maybe we need to re-visit THAT again! :twisted:

(*runs and hides from Janon*)
High Damage Skill? Uh??? Have you seen my thread on deflect arrows? Gunna have to disagree with you...

Are you targeting me with the above quote? "I think a certain new ranger. . ."
Erwyth
Feraael
Halafae
Keltorn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Keltorn » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Are we maybe looking at a magic bow of some sort? Cuz not everyone has superbows like Catti-Brie and Janon. ;-)
"Let all on whom Her light falls be welcome if they desire. Trust in Her radiance, and know that all love alive under Her light shall know her blessing. Promote acceptance and tolerance. See all other beings as equals."
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Fwiw, I find archery does very respectable damage. I carry only a 100 arrow quiver and do not have a magical bow. Even after so many years of play, I don't have fletching or archery GM'd. (Though that might change with the increased frequency in betters that have come about the past year. Thanks imms!)

Archery is a great skill in forms, so maybe a bit of team-work is needed if you're struggling with a certain mob or quest? Yes, even rangers can give up the "troubled loner act" to work together for a good cause...at least for a short time. :wink:
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 am

Saranya wrote:I'll probably catch heck for this, but I'm going to say it anyhow. I think a certain new ranger might want to cool down a bit, not just in fletching, but everything else too. (Except maybe sitting quietly, hugging a tree, and reflecting on *balance*. 8) )
Telling others how they should be playing their character is unneeded. Not to mention a tad rude. Especially if you read "sitting quietly" as basically to sit down and shut up.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Saranya
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Saranya » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:29 am

You can "read" it anyway you like. I won't tell you how, even if your interpretation is not what was written. :wink:

But what is rude to me is the incredible OOC strain a few players are currently putting on the game's component system and economy in a few areas without considering how much it impacts other PCs. I'm not telling anyone how to RP, but I am calling for players old and new to show some restraint and common sense.

In situations this egregious, it is not unreasonable that we the players police ourselves, without "hushing" each other until every situation must come down to an imm zot. It's not rudeness..it is sanity.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:45 am

Saranya wrote:But what is rude to me is the incredible OOC strain a few players are currently putting on the game's component system and economy in a few areas without considering how much it impacts other PCs. I'm not telling anyone how to RP, but I am calling for players old and new to show some restraint and common sense.

In situations this egregious, it is not unreasonable that we the players police ourselves, without "hushing" each other until every situation must come down to an imm zot. It's not rudeness..it is sanity.
Then if just a few players can impact an economy that is meant to cater to the entire mud that bad, it is a problem with the game and not the players. A player should be allowed to voice their opinion on a game issue without them being told they are playing wrong or they have no right to do what they are doing. Telling someone to "cool down" and stop what they are doing is exactly that. The players are not meant to police themselves, that is what imms are for. If he is doing something wrong on the game, they will speak to him.

An opinion on a game mechanic is fine and respected. Telling another player they are playing their character wrong is not.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:31 am

Saranya wrote: But what is rude to me is the incredible OOC strain a few players are currently putting on the game's component system and economy in a few areas without considering how much it impacts other PCs. I'm not telling anyone how to RP, but I am calling for players old and new to show some restraint and common sense.
Not to derail the thread, but this has me curious. This is quite the blanket statement and I'm curious what you are referring to? Some of the shortage and economy problems is player related, like someone selling 100+ platinum worth of loot in one town, and some of it is game side, like the recent 'flask of water' discussion that showed alot more usage of the item than considered when originally stocked. Please don't mention anyone's name, but what do you see as player caused economy/component problems?

Again, sorry to derailed... but thats a really interesting statement to me.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Erwyth
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Erwyth » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 am

Saranya wrote:You can "read" it anyway you like. I won't tell you how, even if your interpretation is not what was written. :wink:

But what is rude to me is the incredible OOC strain a few players are currently putting on the game's component system and economy in a few areas without considering how much it impacts other PCs. I'm not telling anyone how to RP, but I am calling for players old and new to show some restraint and common sense.

This also interests me as well. I have noticed bows being sold in Waterdeep as well as people have mentioned, in game, that they have found staves lying around. People assume it is Feraael because I sat in one spot for a few days, practicing my wood working.
Glim wrote:
Saranya wrote:But what is rude to me is the incredible OOC strain a few players are currently putting on the game's component system and economy in a few areas without considering how much it impacts other PCs. I'm not telling anyone how to RP, but I am calling for players old and new to show some restraint and common sense.

Then if just a few players can impact an economy that is meant to cater to the entire mud that bad, it is a problem with the game and not the players. A player should be allowed to voice their opinion on a game issue without them being told they are playing wrong or they have no right to do what they are doing. Telling someone to "cool down" and stop what they are doing is exactly that. The players are not meant to police themselves, that is what imms are for. If he is doing something wrong on the game, they will speak to him.

An opinion on a game mechanic is fine and respected. Telling another player they are playing their character wrong is not.
Another topic entirely, though point made and I concur.
Erwyth
Feraael
Halafae
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 pm

If a thread seems to be derailing because its content sparks new thought, please create another thread.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity