FK Guide, PDF Group

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Re: FK Guide, PDF Group

Post by Mask » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Personally, I don't believe this to be a particularly worthwhile project - if a newbie needs assistance, we should try and figure out a way to provide that assistance in game, and re-using existing help files in some capacity. I think a useful thing to do would be to brainstorm a way to provide this help, ie, through a different 'default view' on help files for newbies that for example, shows them a 'view' of only help files they are likely to be interested in, and then we expand on those if necessary...

Just some random thoughts!
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:37 am

Sadly, I am inclined to agree that a pdf guide would not be much good. My reasoning is that the fluid nature of our mud would quickly make any such guide obsolete.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Ceudas
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ceudas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:16 am

I've read this thread and one thought kept crossing my mind.
While I love this site and the forums and found both very useful while creating a character and I might add that the people that work on the ask channel all are very helpful and a great resource for newbies as well. I could see where a out of game resource like some of the ideas discussed here would be helpful to people, new and old.

I thought why don't you use a content management system or groupware like TikiWiki (that one comes to mind cause it's the only one I've used myself)? It would fit what everyone has talked about. A wiki for articles and cross linking and it has built in forums as well as structures that work like books. The pages as well as structures can also be printed into a pdf by the site by anyone (no need to have adobe or anything the site makes the pdf) who would want it. the content is as easy to update as any wiki so the issue of the information be out of date would be less of one. Since it's a groupware/CMS system you have controls over who can see and edit what as well as who can add new content.

I would think having the wiki, forums, and guides for not only newbies but any other in game groups or classes that can all be cross linked and all in one place would be a plus. I had seen someone mention that a wiki could hold details about the game world that differ from the FR world and cannon to help people as well as hold information about major and important events that have happened in the world. This could be helpful to existing players that might get an idea for a new character that they didn't have before. Also thinking of it the calendar system that is built in could be helpful for the various in game gathering and events also.

Well I didn't mean to get excited and turn this into a sales pitch for my idea. Just wanted to add my two cents in.
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Wow. Reading this article got me excited. I want to help WRITE! I'm stoked. Need any volunteers??
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
This is not a bug. Shield dwarves are actually made of mithril.