Character Backgrounds

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Character Backgrounds

Post by Rhiel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 pm

I was wondering if it would be feasible and profitable to perhaps include either a forum space, or an application process specifically set up for the posting of character background stories. A lot of folks have really interesting backgrounds, and it would be neat to see them and the fruits of all their labors.
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
This is not a bug. Shield dwarves are actually made of mithril.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Character Backgrounds

Post by Selveem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm

I think this was discussed in the past and, if I remember correctly, the end result was that it should really stay in the game itself via books, helpfiles, and the like.

Personally, Selveem's background is pretty long and while it will be available via Tempus' only bard sometime soon, it will be a very, very long book.

I think, all in all, it would be better that it was done all within the confines of the game. However, I recognize the ease at which just posting your own background via forum would bring.

I don't mind either, I just prefer that the RP aspect of the game stays within the game. OOC methods like this kind of ruin it for me.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Speaking of in-game biographies...

What if some new books were posted to Kingdom's Journals? Or portions of them?

This might add more visibility to a lot of the poetry, prose, histories, and other books being written by players and encourage people to make things like character biographies.

Often, the books become only a token and a glory point.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Drewder's idea is great. I hate reading the books in the mud because the format is so crappy for reading for comprehension. I'd read a ton more if there was an online library of them all.

I'd gladly buy every book I find just to copy and paste it into this sort of medium.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 am

Speaking of Bios, how feasible would it be for a "bio" command to be made in game? Something that would act as a description take only a certain number of characters and each character can put a bio on themselves. Just a tool for immortals to use to know the characters they are interacting with in a rp. While the player behind the immortal character may have no way of knowing little snippets of history this may give them an extra tool to personalize rp to the players they are dealing with at the time.... if they desired to.
Layna
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Layna » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I believe the bio command is in game already, albeit in beta.

Help bio says:
The bio command is still in its beta phase, meaning that it is functional,
but not fully implemented. Please feel free to give it a try. It allows you
to write a brief text file, visible to the immortals, that describes your
character's history and biography. Perhaps key events that happened in his or
her life so that the immortals can see that and use it to facilitate roleplay
with your character.
And using the bio command does indeed seem to work. :)
Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Good ideas! And I am a bit ashamed at never having known of the existence of that command! How useful! Very nice.

Also, how about a "catalogue" of sorts? You know, something like a "message" board for new/top publications in bookstores across the Realms? (As I am in agreement with Harroghty, since he made his point rather well. It's more interesting to read such in-game).
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm sure if the imms responsible for publications, forwarded the books published (and where placed), to me, the Oghman faith could publish yearly book lists for the Realms, somewhere?

Just a thought. All we'd need is another board in the Scribes' Room, and we'd be sorted. :)
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Lerytha wrote:I'm sure if the imms responsible for publications, forwarded the books published (and where placed), to me, the Oghman faith could publish yearly book lists for the Realms, somewhere?

Just a thought. All we'd need is another board in the Scribes' Room, and we'd be sorted. :)
Alternatively, there is a fairly regular in-game player-run publication, whose editor would be more than happy to include information on new publications :wink: And I'm sure he's even written words to that effect... one more than one occasion... And would be more than happy to include a regular Book Corner with Nana Lerytha.

Here's a thread on Bio viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6813

I think it would be great for imm-assisted role play... Imagine joining a faith and having your deity say "I knew you would come to me one day, I have followed your steps ever since you killed your father / saw your family slaughtered by orcs / put on your first pair of high heels / stole that cookie from the cookie jar."
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 am

Look, no one knows about Harroghty's first pair of heels... uhh...

To clarify: I think that posting the books in the Kingdom's Journals forum here (or maybe only an excerpt from them) would give them more visibility and encourage people to buy them in the game and, consequently, encourage people to spend time writing them.

It's great if someone wants to put their stuff out in Peverell's paper or somewhere else, but I think it'd be a cool idea for a bard (another role-play hook..) to sit down with a character and write a bio about them.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:27 am

Harroghty wrote:Look, no one knows about Harroghty's first pair of heels... uhh...

To clarify: I think that posting the books in the Kingdom's Journals forum here (or maybe only an excerpt from them) would give them more visibility and encourage people to buy them in the game and, consequently, encourage people to spend time writing them.

It's great if someone wants to put their stuff out in Peverell's paper or somewhere else, but I think it'd be a cool idea for a bard (another role-play hook..) to sit down with a character and write a bio about them.
I like this idea, Harroghty. For some reason, it conjured a mental image of Interview With a Vampire-esque images of a chronicler sitting with some powerful evil, scribing the reasons they walk the dark path. Oooh. I may just roll for a bard. >.<
Raona wrote:
Balek wrote: