[SPELL] Enlarge Person

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Leveran
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

[SPELL] Enlarge Person

Post by Leveran » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Is there any way that your equipment could grow with you, with this spell, including weapons? As is, when your gear is mis-sized it causes it to become damaged much faster. In addition, weapon growth increases damage, and as such should be a benefit of this spell.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [SPELL] Enlarge Person

Post by Isaldur » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:26 am

Known bug.

Enlarge Person
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Julthain
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Julthain » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Enlarge Person isn't meant to be a beneficial spell. It is meant to be a utility for tactics, say if you are meleeing with someone that is a lot smaller or more dexterious than you (thus harder to hit) you enlarge them to make them a bigger target.
Thus, that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:38 pm

That is your opinion Julthain. I've seen Enlarge person used as a beneficial tactical advantage on a PC before (In PnP that is) for using the strength and reach bonuses it applies, especially with a two-handed weapons.

Opinions on its tactical advantages/disadvantages have no real say in this however because the mechanics are the mechanics, and can be used many different ways regardless of opinion on how it should work. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that Enlarge person does not work like in PnP where the pros/cons are balanced. Instead it is mostly cons, unless you need an extra 300lbs or so of carry-weight.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Leveran
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Leveran » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Isaldur wrote:That is your opinion Julthain. I've seen Enlarge person used as a beneficial tactical advantage on a PC before (In PnP that is) for using the strength and reach bonuses it applies, especially with a two-handed weapons.

Opinions on its tactical advantages/disadvantages have no real say in this however because the mechanics are the mechanics, and can be used many different ways regardless of opinion on how it should work. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that Enlarge person does not work like in PnP where the pros/cons are balanced. Instead it is mostly cons, unless you need an extra 300lbs or so of carry-weight.
Well spoken Isaldur, and I concur entirely. I also listed the link from whence the original spell comes. I will admit, for purposes of this discussion, that the spell when cast upon self states, "Cast this spell upon your self? Okay." As if the game thinks you're wonky. However, there are advantages to doing so, as Isaldur says, heavy amongst them a strength and con bonus that shouldn't be considered an enhancement bonus and thus stackable with the other spells which increase such. In addition, as I stated previously, in growing larger, if your weapon grows, your damage increases. I should think the tactical advantage in this would be easy enough to see.

Just in case someone doesn't wish to follow a link from a relatively unknown source:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm
3.5 d20 OGL website wrote:All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons affected by this spell deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves an enlarged creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage, and projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them. Magical properties of enlarged items are not increased by this spell.
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Anything that makes you suddenly the size of an ogre and ridiculously strong, is definitely a beneficial spell. If you play with enlarge person and you only do it on people trying to harm you....you're making a huge mistake. An enlarged mistake.

Canon mechanics: +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size, reach increased to 10 feet

My original suggestion: I don't think it'd be bad if they just got a tag (enlarged) like weapons get (icy) or (fiery) and then give them a 200 pound capacity bonus in addition to +4 strength, -2 dexterity, -1 to hit, -1 AC (all unnamed bonuses because all bonus is due to physical size)

The reason I give an extra 2 to strength is due to FK being unable to utilize the advantage of a 10 foot reach, a benefit that changes a lot of things.

--------------

The way the spell is currently coded, I agree with what Julthain is saying....but that's not the way it should be. It is definitely not written with the intent to be a malicious spell.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?