Player Dwellings

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Player Dwellings

Post by Mele » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 am

I say this because of an increasing amount of ASKS coming in about this lately.

If you own a player dwelling please be sure to lock up at the very least, your store room. Especially if you own a dwelling in an area which has many NPC homes in it.

Players are wandering into homes assuming they are NPC homes as they are in the vicinity of, and waltzing into the golems where they get hurt, if not die.

Many dwellings seem to be part of the general area surrounding them, so please at the very least lock your store room doors!

Thank you!
Beshaba potatoes.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Player Dwellings

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 am

Can't they simply "look west" before going west, like any good thief would do? :)
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:11 pm

When it's in an area of npc homes called similar names to the pc home, I know I wouldn't look either. :)
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I often wish that guard golems would shove players out of the room then close and lock the doors instead of killing them unless specified. It seems more humane.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Leveran
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Leveran » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Gwain wrote:I often wish that guard golems would shove players out of the room then close and lock the doors instead of killing them unless specified. It seems more humane.
Heh, would be cool if you could order them killmode sentry or something *nods*
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 pm

What it if cast change sex and hold monster then shoved them out! That way they learn there lesson when they get hit on by the slimey street urchins!
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 pm

I often wish that guard golems would shove players out of the room then close and lock the doors instead of killing them unless specified. It seems more humane.
Well yes, but I doubt the sales pitch could ever be as good. "Guard-golem! See it rip your enemies limb from limb!" is somehow much better than, "Butler-golem! Watch it...politely see your enemies out and close the door pointedly behind them!"

;)
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Hmm there's also the traps! I remember my first char was a thief..and I was like alright a locked npc manor -sneaks in looks around- hmmm ooo a locked door -picks it and dies- I was like what in the...I learned 10 minutes later that npc homes and traps are not to be trifled with and didn't touch a lock for a month in game
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 am

Personally, I think that if adventurers just swagger up into people's houses [pc OR npc] without knocking and first being answered and invited in, thief or not, they get what they get. I mean, it's breaking&entering regardless of who owns the place.
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Dwellings were given with a large application and lots of IC work - IC you are asking a community to live with them, and they trust you not to make things bad there.

That is not a right or invitation to leave your doors open and think "Well, I have a golem people should be smarter." It is still your dwelling, and it is still your responsibility to protect it.

If the community is full of dwellings with open doors it's obviously a trusting one and I do not think they would appreciate your golem beating down people for coming in like they may in all the others.

"Breaking and entering" is a common day crime, not an FK day crime. (Not that it would be ignored, it's simply not what it is now.)
Beshaba potatoes.