Alias

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Yevel
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Alias

Post by Yevel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

My idea is for people to use the greet command as the following.

greet <target> as <alias>. That way when you greet the person as the alias they will remember what you as your alias. This is for those people that have the roleplay of not using their real name.
Yevel, Warder of Ilmater
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Alias

Post by Alaudrien » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:17 pm

I like that idea Yevel hmm but this should be put down in the game suggestions forums with the haste/slow one my man. Still I love the idea so no you could be anonymous for sure!
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:21 pm

This is a topic that has come up time and time again (http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org//board ... ight=greet) over the years, and is no less valid now.

The best concept that has arisen by far is one whereby the greet command is removed entirely - people simply use a 'remember' (or similar) command to tag people with a given name for future reference. This way you may greet with any number of aliases, use nicknames, pet-names or even just be remembered by a trait (a nameless orc with a tendancy to grunt might be remembered as 'Grunty' for instance). It also means that people who don't use 'greet all' in a public area would no longer get away with it :wink:
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm

HRmm I like that idea a tad more you crazy cyricist youu
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Brodnur
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Brodnur » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Lathlain wrote:The best concept that has arisen by far is one whereby the greet command is removed entirely - people simply use a 'remember' (or similar) command to tag people with a given name for future reference. This way you may greet with any number of aliases, use nicknames, pet-names or even just be remembered by a trait (a nameless orc with a tendancy to grunt might be remembered as 'Grunty' for instance). It also means that people who don't use 'greet all' in a public area would no longer get away with it :wink:
Just curious, but how would that affect smote, sayto, and tell commands to the remembered character? I like the idea for those PC's that prefer to remain anonymous in certain situations, or just choose not to greet someone or to greet using the above mentioned Alias command. It's been a good idea that has been kicked around for a while, and I'm glad to see it brought up again.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Brodnur wrote:Just curious, but how would that affect smote, sayto, and tell commands to the remembered character? I like the idea for those PC's that prefer to remain anonymous in certain situations, or just choose not to greet someone or to greet using the above mentioned Alias command. It's been a good idea that has been kicked around for a while, and I'm glad to see it brought up again.
I'd expect it to be more or less the same as the greet system is currently. If you 'remember' someone as Chuck Norris, then using 'sayto chuck' should refer to them, and the same for other commands.

It would probably take a pretty serious rewrite of the current code though, which is the major downside of course :wink:
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 am

i presume that codewise, everyone has a set number of keywords, based on their short and their name, and only the ones in their short description are valid to player until the greet command is used on them.
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 am

Skeas wrote:i presume that codewise, everyone has a set number of keywords, based on their short description and their name, and only the ones in their short description are valid to refer to a given player until the greet command is used on them.
That is correct, Skeas. At least, it squares with my confirmatory testing on the testport just now.
Seleno
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Seleno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 am

Could one code this using the 'string of existing key words' in the command itself, and, and just adding something that causes, 'string of existing key words' to display it as the 'remembered name 'for the player. Some sort of auto-converter coded into the command, rather than changing all or adding more keywords to stuff, if it's easier?

Find a way to work with what you have in adding new styff, rather than change what you have to accomodate new stuff, I mean.

(admits to not knowing enough about coding, and is just curious.)
We think we understand the rules when we become adults, but what we really experience is a narrowing of the imagination.