Equipment damage.

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Bregga
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Equipment damage.

Post by Bregga » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:32 am

Is there a way to tone down the damage done to equipment. Sense the updates I have noticed my stuff getting destroyed so much quicker than it was before. It is frustrating to have quest items destroyed in one fight that you just got and were in perfect condition as well as it costing a small fortune to repair everything.
Radgar Warrior of Tempus!
Bregga Warrior of Moradin!
Allistair Priest of Tyr!

Wake Early if you want another man's life or land. No lamb for the lazy wolf. No battle's won in bed.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Equipment damage.

Post by Lathlain » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:22 am

I may be misguided, but I think in this case it's not so much a matter of the speed items damage at, but what's causing them to damage in the first place.

From what I'm able to tell, this directly relates to the fact that mobs are now punching and kicking a lot. Can anyone confirm this? Do items damage a lot against mobs who neither punch nor kick?

We are in the process of adressing the changes made to the mob tactics, looking specifically at damage enhancing abilities such as punch and kick with an eye to bringing mobs' total damage output down to a more reasonable level again.
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:29 am

Lathlain wrote:
From what I'm able to tell, this directly relates to the fact that mobs are now punching and kicking a lot. Can anyone confirm this? Do items damage a lot against mobs who neither punch nor kick?
I can confirm this, fighting the normal kobolds in malagan's tower that don't land kicks on me, my armor doesn't get damaged almost at all. Two fights against the Royal Kobold Guards, and they destroy my light armor.
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:51 pm

equipment damage is the only thing kick seems to do, at least. it could be worse and hurt your HP?
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Bregga
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Bregga » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I'd rather it hurt my HP than destroy all my equipment.
Radgar Warrior of Tempus!
Bregga Warrior of Moradin!
Allistair Priest of Tyr!

Wake Early if you want another man's life or land. No lamb for the lazy wolf. No battle's won in bed.
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:13 pm

but at least it doesn't do both! \:
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Vantaniael
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Vantaniael » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Could I suggest maybe extending the half life on object scraps going to something closer to PC corpses?
Maybe having the scraps fall into the inventory or have the echo maybe in blue or the like?
I just know that I've come out of a dungeon entirely oblivious to losing things because of all the combat text going on.

I think I dont mind entirely having better manage my gear, its really just about developing the habits for it, but having quality quest items break and then fade away before you can get out of a dungeon to deal with them doesn't practical either.
Follow your heart, yes.. but use your head, too. Take to every task with zeal and passion, but try to pair it with sage and discerning execution.
Zorinar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zorinar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 pm

I can confirm that nearly all npc's I fight are trying to kick, a lot. Meaning almost every round. Furthermore they seem to have a lot more attacks per round. Additionally, there seems to be something off with the cost of repairing magical items. Hardly anyone in the game knows the make whole spell, forcing players to have absolutely incredible fees to repair some items at the merchants that repair. I had a robe that was somewhat damaged, and the merchant wanted 45 platinum to fix it. When I finally found someone with the make whole spell, it cost hardly anything in components. But this is yet another spell in the hands of a very very limited amount of people. But why would it cost more to fix a magic robe than to fix magical platemail? And at 45 platinum... I doubt any low level wizard that puts all their money into components would even have been able to deal with that cost.
Seek ye victory? Ye shall eventually find defeat.
Seek ye defeat? Ye shall most certainly find it.
Seek ye nothing? Then all ye can find is victory.
Saranya
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Saranya » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Agree with above. Also that weird thing that got fixed last year where under layers shred before outer layers seems to be back. Saranya's back to wearing armour in direct contact with the skin because her underclothing is going from perfect to scraps in one or two rounds of combat.

*owwchafeoww*

:lol:
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Kallias » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm

There is a reason pen n paper doesn't include item damage mechanics on regular actions. It's tedious and annoying more than it adds to the game. I'm in the remove all item damage camp.

If you want to keep weapon damage, it'd make sunder worth something...but items should not be damaged on regular actions. I don't see the value on keeping this mechanic.
Brodnur
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Brodnur » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, I do agree that eq should take damage, as having it repaire does wonders for the local economy if nothing else, though how a punch or a kick can damage platemail where a club strike doesn't is beyond me. I think if the damage taken to eq could be toned down a bit, or transferred to blunt force trauma to the pc it would work out a little better.
Dovan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dovan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:11 pm

To echo Saranya, I can confirm that underlayers are getting taken out through armor. Interesting to find shreads of your shirt falling out from your breastplate.
"One life; Win or lose it's all a bet,
One chance; Don't show fear and do not forget" -Simon's Symphony

-Dovan, Burning Blade of Luck