Multi-spell scrolls and Write

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Multi-spell scrolls and Write

Post by Nysan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am

Due to a recent conversation and my ignorance on the subject, I am curious.

Does the write command work with character made scrolls with multiple spells?

Example: I have a scroll with resilience, armor, and shield. Will Write copy all three into a wizard's spellbook? The first one? None of them?

None of us were sure. Any experience scribes or testers know for certain?
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Multi-spell scrolls and Write

Post by Nysan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks to the valiant test port efforts of Enig, we have our answer: You cannot WRITE scrolls with multiple spells into spellbooks.

This brings up a related question. Can we make an addition to either scribe or write helpfile with a small comment about this? Hate to see this bite someone buying a scroll, if we can help it. :D

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Athglor
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Athglor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am

And what happens if the same spell is three times? Neither you can write it?
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:50 am

Athglor wrote:And what happens if the same spell is three times? Neither you can write it?
We didn't try the same spell 3 times, but if I had to guess... I'd say no. Code only see X number of spells, not which spells they are, so only scrolls with 1 spell on them would work with write command. Again, just a guess.

Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Helpfile has been updated (by someone other than myself!) to indicate that only scrolls with a single spell may be used with WRITE.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you!

Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I noticed this topic and understand it's a little old, but I don't think it's correct anymore. I successfully wrote a few 3-different-spell scrolls into a spellbook, but it only took the first spell... I think.
Jamais arriere.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:30 pm

If this has changed since the original discussion, I would love to know. Saddly, I do not have scribe to test it myself. Anyone else have new testing results? Maybe multiple spell scrolls and spells written several times on the same scroll (3x cure serious wounds or something?).

Melian
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Melian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 am

Hrosskell wrote:I noticed this topic and understand it's a little old, but I don't think it's correct anymore. I successfully wrote a few 3-different-spell scrolls into a spellbook, but it only took the first spell... I think.

I will confirm this too. Except it wrote all three spells.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Melian wrote:
Hrosskell wrote:I noticed this topic and understand it's a little old, but I don't think it's correct anymore. I successfully wrote a few 3-different-spell scrolls into a spellbook, but it only took the first spell... I think.

I will confirm this too. Except it wrote all three spells.

Hmm, so the question becomes is this working properly or some bug with scrolls. Hate to start selling scrolls again just to see it turn out to be a bug. :?

Melian
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Melian » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 am

Sorry. My bad for not logging it. Test it for yourself is all I have to say. :)
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 am

Melian wrote:Sorry. My bad for not logging it. Test it for yourself is all I have to say. :)
Would if I could, unfortunately scrolls is one of the few areas my characters cannot test on game port. So, I took the other path and made a bug post, hopefully someone will have a spare moment to check it out.

I trust the posts that say its working on game port. I am mostly just curious if it is an intended change or a bug caused by some other code update. We'll see. :wink: