Racial skills

Reports on bugs, and questions on if something is a bug.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Racial skills

Post by Cret » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:04 am

For some reason I am told tieflings get hide/sneak as a racial skill. If this is not true, then the rest is moot.

However if you get a racial skill, it should come pre-learned at inept or GM depending on the skill.

If tieflings get hide/sneak and are created as a rogue/ranger should they not have pre-knowledge of hide/sneak?

However, I made one reciently and it is unknowning of both, but has them due to class.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Racial skills

Post by Raona » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:28 am

Hmmm. Pretty sure this is a case of an unanticipated situation. What do people think should happen in a case like this?

I'm inclined to think the racial ability is known in a different way (inherently and subconsciously) than the standard skill, and thus can not be improved, but starts out non-zero. It can (generally) only be used so often per day. The standard skill you know more consciously, and thus can improve it.

I don't know that the current situation doesn't make any sense. But what's the thought from others? Should those with Xskill as a racial ability start out with a non-zero level in Xskill, whether Xskill be hide for a rogue, the darkvision spell for a mage, or what have you? Working out what this SHOULD look like is usually the hardest part of fixing a bug like this, if it is indeed determined to be one...and it's part of my job. Does canon (d20/3.5E) lay out the law on this, either way?