Occasion to catch up

Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Occasion to catch up

Post by Brar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are for less than 10$ each on GOG, it's a once in a lifetime occassion to catch up on this marvelous FR series for those of you too young to have played it :)
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Occasion to catch up

Post by Harroghty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Fantastic catch, Brar. I own all four of the Baldur's Gate games, but the versions offered here are compatible all the way through to Windows 7 (unlike my original Baldur's Gate version) and so I may update. Thanks!
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Another great RPG that can help with FR related knowledge is Planetscape Torment which is based in Sigil :)
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Planescape: Torment is another of the great Black Isle/Interplay games. While it lasted, that company made some of the best computer RPGs in history (such as the Fallout series). I do not, however, recommend Pool of Radiance (1988), Curse of the Azure Bonds (1989), or any of the other early SSI games. They make me want to punch my computer.

Budget gamers may be also interested in the Exile (now Avernum) games by SpiderWeb Software. They are not Forgotten Realms related, but the original series of games were great (extremely basic) role-playing in the nineties.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 pm

I'll toss my seal of approval on Planescape: Torment. Very well made game taking place in a rarely visited aspect of the D&D universe.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 am

Arcanum!!
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Anguin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Anguin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 pm

The Pool of Radiance series was wonderful. Unfortunately, it does not hold up well over time. I tried replaying it, and the interface is agonizing. Also, 1st edition rules are arbitrary and bizarre at times.

Still, I would love to see a modern remake of this series.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm

I remember Pool of Radiance as very buggy. So much so that I got tired of playing it, but what I did play I enjoyed up to that point. I haven't played most of them. Baldur's Gate series was awesome. I remember I really liked Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and that game probably inspired part of Selveem's background story. :D
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Janon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Janon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:18 am

You wouldn't believe the maps I painstakingly made when playing Pool of Radiance on my ooooold mac.
Janon,
Corellon's Cartographer