[Discussion] Amulets of Communication

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [Discussion] Amulets of Communication

Post by Orplar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:37 am

Im a fan of having it cost a set amount of coin, like when the 'check' system was in place.
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Anguin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Anguin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Amulets are fine the way they are. They take up a neck slot. That's plenty.
Briek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Briek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Anguin wrote:Amulets are fine the way they are. They take up a neck slot. That's plenty.
you can use it as long as it's in your inventory.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Anguin wrote:Amulets are fine the way they are. They take up a neck slot. That's plenty.
Not necessarily. RP rewards have made communication items for various locations. Far as I can tell: neck, wrist, ear, ears, around face, just about any place jewellery is worn I have seen a communication amulet variation.

And Briek is right, they function a lot like spell components as in they work in inventory. Not sure if that is intended or an overlooked bug, but it works.

EDIT: Amulets function in spell pouches, but I would advise not using them in this fashion until a staff member says it is fine. Better safe than bug abusing!!!!
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Uleha
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Uleha » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:47 am

Nysan wrote:
EDIT: Amulets function in spell pouches, but I would advise not using them in this fashion until a staff member says it is fine. Better safe than bug abusing!!!!

I'd call it an exploit, myself.
-
-

As for the amulets, they don't bother me in the least. Players will prioritize how they will either way. It's either someone RPs with you in only say while they talk to their friend in tells, or they ditch you to idle while they go meet up with the aforementioned friend, or they tell their friend to bugger off (perhaps to their poor friend's dismay) so they can properly smote you about their nods and grins and gestures before their speech. I RP for the interaction with the other players, personally, not for the length of their smotes while they RP with me back. As far as amulet-flash spam, I have a scroll bar on the side of my client that I can use if something gets lost. I'm not sure if this is a feature with other clients as I've only ever used Gmud. The idea of limiting in any way interaction with the other players of the game, long distance or not, seems like it could only be detrimental. What if Chase dies 14 times in a day and I have to ask him where he fell each time to rescue him- Because my RP demands that I help him or suffer penalties, then when my FM logs on I'm out of tells & can't talk to him about some important stuff because my tells are used up? I downright hate the idea.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 am

I'd avoid having an amulet put on any layered clothing like a belt or body location other than wrist, neck, fingers or face. The current amulet functions as an item that can only be worn on all layers.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:39 am

Gwain wrote:I'd avoid having an amulet put on any layered clothing like a belt or body location other than wrist, neck, fingers or face. The current amulet functions as an item that can only be worn on all layers.
Likewise. The current variations I have seen are jewellery only locations, such as wrist, which is perfectly fine. Would be odd to see "a vest of tells" or "sandals of chatting" pop up.

The amulets working while within the spell pouch (bug?) turned up as a side effect of testing inventory usage. *shrug*
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Uleha
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Uleha » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:26 am

I would make an official bug report if I were you, Gil!
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Why not... Do no hurt me again, it is just an idea..

Limit the amulet of communication liek the Sending DnD Spell.
Which means, it allows a 25 word message to be sent and one reply of 25 word.
And makes amulet of communication a "rechargeable" items with something like 100 charges.

I think that would be ultra cool ... and gives a real thinking to the whole communication from a distance thing. I can recall havnig headaches trying to choose the good wording for my sending spells and failling miserably for forgetting to count a "a" or an "and" :)

Brar with another of his ultra bad ideas that only him drools about...
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar