Race(s) and You

Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Race(s) and You

Post by Vaemar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:03 am

Speaking of which, I really love female dwarves. My first character here was a female dwarf, and, of course she had not a beard. ;)
Oengus
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Oengus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:05 am

I like being a tree.
Lay your sword unto its sheath, set down your shield, tis time to eat. Butter thy bread and slice thy wurst, rest thy boots upon the hearth! For never was a meal as fine! Bless the mead and mutton, bread and wine.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:36 pm

The real question isn't which race is the coolest.

The real question comes into play when you consider that humans can breed with everything from the air to even trees in some worlds to create half human half bushes. But no where is there a half dwarf.

Dwarves are destined to disappear into the forgotten myths of history, not even to be preserved as junk DNA in the human genome like every other race they outbred
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Half dwarves exist in other tsr settings.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Talos
Staff
Staff

Post by Talos » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:55 pm

There are half dwarves.
4.10. Who are/were the D'Tarig? What races of dwarven halfbreeds exist in the Realms?

Eric Boyd explains In the Realms (and I stress only in the Realms), there are three known races or crossbreeds with dwarven and human blood.

a) Half-dwarves, as defined in FR11 - Dwarves Deep, are the offspring of a human and a dwarf, a human and a half-dwarf, or a half-dwarf and a half-dwarf. The offspring of a half-dwarf and a dwarf is a true dwarf. (In other words, half-dwarves favor their dwarven parent.) They look just like dwarves, except a little taller on average, and have all the abilities and restrictions of dwarves. It is for these reasons that some dwarves believe the best way to restore the race is to breed with much more fertile human females.

b) The D'Tarig are a unique race with human and dwarven ancestry and basically human abilities. They are not "half-dwarves." It is unspecified what the offspring of a D'Tarig and human would be, but I would speculate the child would be essentially human. It is unspecified what the offspring of a D'Tarig and a dwarf or half-dwarf would be, but I would speculate the child would be a half-dwarf as defined previously.

c) The derro are a unique race with human and dwarven ancestry and there own unique abilities. They are not "half-dwarves." It is unspecified what the offspring of a derro and a human would be, but I would speculate any offspring would favor the derro side, and breed true like a derro. It is unspecified what the offspring of a derro and dwarf or half-dwarf would be, but I would speculate that any offspring would favor the dwarf side, and breed true like a dwarf. Regardless, the issue is probably moot, because derro may well be infertile with both dwarves and humans so warped are they by the process of the race's creation. If an offspring were to be produced, they would probably be killed immediately by any of the above-mentioned races.
A goblin, a trickster, a warrior? A nameless terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. A most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop, hold, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:03 am

Great Scott ol' boy!

Well, learn something new everyday. I always thought the Derro were a demented gnome sub race in the under dark but good show.

Guess the domination of human kind is set through breeding. It'll be interesting to consider what playing a dwarf with a human in the ancestry will be like.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!