Leatherworking and Fletching knives

This contains bug reports which the test team have confirmed and are now in the queue to be fixed.
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Leatherworking and Fletching knives

Post by Timaeus » Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm

For both trades knives are no longer functioning as useable tool when making leather armor or arrows. When using a knife for either trade it returns this echo:
You need to wield a sharp weapon.

a leather making knife (perfect) is the knife you get while doing the leatherworking trade quest and would not work even during the quest

a fletching knife (perfect) would not work for making arrows or as leatherworking tool.

I've tried it with CM +/-Ranged toggled both ways.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: Leatherworking and Fletching knives

Post by Beskytter » Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm getting the echo "You need to wield a slicing tool." I've tried my sword, a few different knives including one player made knife, and an axe. It seems that axes are working though.

Maybe its just a tag that the axes have that knives don't?
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

* Re: Leatherworking and Fletching knives

Post by Harroghty » Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Okay, so yes, TYPE_DAGGER and TYPE_KNIFE do not work, but TYPE_BATTLE_AXE does. Go figure.

The types that should work for these are: WEAPON_TYPE_DAGGER (13), WEAPON_TYPE_KNIFE (58), and WEAPON_TYPE_SICKLE (59). (Basically the short blades category.)
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Enig » Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm

This is a pretty old bug that was looked into already. Slashing weapons of any type currently work (ie. halberds, greataxes, greatswords), but since knives and daggers do piercing damage they currently don't.

For the original report see:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=15705&hilit=fletching
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Beskytter » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Is it possible to change the damage type of the specific knives/tools for these trades?
I don't mind having to hold a hatchet when I want to craft, but it would make more sense to use my leather working knife or my fletching knife, and as a ranger a knife is a lot lighter to carry than the hatchet is.
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 am

The original report that Enig linked is in a hidden forum because it contains quest information, so folks can't see it. I will update it to link back to this post and verify to Mask (he asked) that this issue still needs attention.

Thanks for the reports and the analysis, folks! It is helpful!
Ariala
Sword Master
Sword Master

Leather making knife doesn't work

Post by Ariala » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Trying to construct some leather armour and I get this echo:

You need to wield a slicing tool.
However:
<right hand> a leather making knife (perfect)
Three can keep a secret if two are dead.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 pm

This remains an issue, in that a range of short blades (knives) ostensibly made for these trades are no longer up to the task. Currently, only slicing weapons work, which includes an odd potpourri including whips and battle axes (but more apropos, an adze).

I'm inclined to think the right fix is to change the requirement from something that does slicing damage to a knife, or at least a short blade. But this raises two questions we should attend to first, before pulling on Mask's sleeve:
1) Would such a change break anything? I think the adze is proffered as the "right" tool for woodworking, but are there any (non short blade) slicing weapons being offered as the "right" tool for leatherworking and/or slice? Should woodworking be included in "these" trades? (There a short axe seems to make the most sense, at least to me?)
2) Are there any weapons beyond short blades that should work for these trades, or at least for the slice skill? (I think that was how this came to change in the first place; it used to work with those obvious knives, and was intentionally changed during an overhaul, though I'm fuzzy on exactly why.)