General Questions

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

General Questions

Post by Alitar » Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Just a thread to use if you want to field a question to the playerbase. I'll start...

What does casting defensively do? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is there a purpose to not doing it?
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Re: General Questions

Post by Hrosskell » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 am

One of the major things in D20 that can negate a spell is damage from an Attack of Opportunity; casting defensively makes it so that casting in melee range does not provoke the AoO--at the cost of still rolling a concentration check (lower than the damage you would take from a seasoned opponent in most cases). I would suggest never turning this one off.
Injury
If while trying to cast a spell you take damage, you must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + points of damage taken + the level of the spell you’re casting). If you fail the check, you lose the spell without effect. The interrupting event strikes during spellcasting if it comes between when you start and when you complete a spell (for a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or more) or if it comes in response to your casting the spell (such as an attack of opportunity provoked by the spell or a contingent attack, such as a readied action).
Casting Defensively
If you want to cast a spell without provoking any attacks of opportunity, you must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the level of the spell you’re casting) to succeed. You lose the spell if you fail.
Jamais arriere.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am

I think the counter-argument only becomes significant when you are fighting foes that have a low probability of hitting you, and your concentration skill is low enough that the risk of failing even the easier check is palpable. In such a case the AoO isn't as important, and you are less likely to have to make a concentration check at all, if you are not casting defensively. At least that's my take on it!

I'd like to posit a question of my own now, if I may! Far from my circle of experience. Do Talonans have any (coded) way to spread disease and poison the populace, beyond the overly obvious spells of the same name? Specifically, does SPIKE work, and can disease be spread by a PC with the disease code?
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Mon May 12, 2014 9:29 pm

I've never been able to successfully spike a food object or drink with the stock poisoning powder (on a thief with the appropriate skills). Can't test for relevance just now, but I think it's a no on that. As for disease, they typically don't spread to other people--you have to apply the diseases individually via the disease spell (which is considered a pretty overt and hostile action, so doing it in most cities would get you in the clink).
Jamais arriere.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue May 13, 2014 12:07 am

There's some hard coded curses/diseases that may have been nerfed several years ago, (lycan disease used to make you change into the creature and make you bite others to spread it uncontrollably) I wonder if this is why disease is not being spread like contagion?
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Rhangalas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhangalas » Sat May 17, 2014 1:03 am

Raona wrote:Do Talonans have any (coded) way to spread disease and poison the populace, beyond the overly obvious spells of the same name? Specifically, does SPIKE work, and can disease be spread by a PC with the disease code?
LOL! This reminds me of the Corrupted Blood incident in WoW.

The last time I checked, the disease/curse spells were disabled due to some sort of bug. To me, it seems disease only spreads via damage. Maybe if a PC with a disease sparred another PC, it might spread.

I can't think of any questions. I'll be back later. :)
"I have a lot of beliefs... and I live by none of them."
- Louis C.K.
Baeus
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Baeus » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Hit Points, Body Locations and The Toughness Feat

Does HP total act as a basis for how much damage can be sustained to an individual body location before traumatic injury occurs?

Does the toughness feat simply increase the overall total by 5 HP or is that solid 5 HP going to each individual location.

In tabletop a +1 hp per level is gained to the overall total and there are no individual body locations, which can be quite substantial as you level and well worth the feat. A static +5 here I'm not quite sure about yet.
Benorf
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Benorf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Just a flat +5 hp is added, I believe. And in 3.5 rules toughness only adds +3 hp, Improved Toughness is the feat that adds 1 hp/level.
Benorf the Stout, Axe of Torm
Formyndare Mastare, Horn Guard of Yondalla
Thaien Ellbrecht, Planar Interviewer
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:28 pm

This question will probably have to be fielded by someone on the coding side of things...

Spell Prayer is meant to give the user +1 and opponents -1 on various rolls. I can see that the +1 portion works, but does the opponents' -1 function?
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Aldren
Staff
Staff

Post by Aldren » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:32 pm

According to "help favor":
High favour gives you better chance rolls and weapon bonuses, while
low favour penalizes you.
I've never seen weapon bonuses affected by high or low favor, is this a hidden change in bonus or something that should be reflected in the score sheet?
"He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine... ...It was hate that drove him. Though he committed many sins, he never sought forgiveness."
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Its one of the oldest score elements so there is a chance its no longer working or its so slight we can't see it any more.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:13 am

Necroposting!

How do I get a possessive " ' " in my description?
"There is nothing more invigorating than challenging the elements. The feel of wind and spray on one's face and the deck pitching beneath one's feet is the greatest feeling in the world."
And cats. I love cats.
Aishe
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aishe » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:34 am

If I am understanding this correctly, you are having an issue where you put a "'" into your description and save it, then it doesn't show up? If so, I've noticed that copy and pasting a description from another text program sometimes causes a funky "'" symbol that doesn't translate into the description. My solution has been to pop my text (color codes and all) into notepad, and replace all the apostrophes with ones native to notepad. They look different, and they work better for description code!

If this is not what you are referring to, perhaps this will help someone else :)
Obstacles are those dreadful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu May 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Are there any paladins who aren't knights? is Paladin locked into -knighthood or are not all paladins knights on FK?

I know in the Fr novels there are paladins, one of oghma who isn't a knight but I wasn't sure of the requirements here. And though I can't actually find any oficial orders of Oghmanite paladins, I think this one's name was dave... or daine?from the brimstone angels series if anyone wanted to look him up.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu May 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Right now there are no paladins who are not knights. I've discussed other options with some builders and there are expansions to that role-play in the works; for example, there is an elven paladin school which is a little different that will be added soon to the game.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu May 12, 2016 5:27 pm

OH, cheers.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 pm

How many PCs does it take attacking the same target to get in each others way? And does this apply to NPCs attacking the same PC?
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 am

Which skills do not currently function? I heard that riposte does not work correctly for pcs?
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Tue May 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I think riposte, staff / wand making are it. Any others?

On a related note, I'm curious if we'll see spell staves that are +1 quarterstaff weapons here or if that's completely out the window.
Myn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Myn » Tue May 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Hitall for fighters was disabled too if i recall correctly.