Large Bush...seriously overpowered

Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Large Bush...seriously overpowered

Post by Algon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 pm

The large bush in the kobold tower might need to be looked into. This thing is crazy overpowered and chases you after you run. Being a place that is meant for lower level characters, this thing obliterates you in just a couple of blows, it might need to be toned down a bit.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Large Bush...seriously overpowered

Post by Ungtar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Algon wrote:The large bush in the kobold tower might need to be looked into. This thing is crazy overpowered and chases you after you run. Being a place that is meant for lower level characters, this thing obliterates you in just a couple of blows, it might need to be toned down a bit.
Yeah. I've lost a few low levels when they wandered off the path on accident. The bushes will pursue you all over and in just one or two rounds you're doomed.
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:02 am

You know that "Oh no!" feeling when you run into the bush, forcing you to run from it? Then on the way out, that one tiny kobold decided to engage you in combat. You pray that you'd score some quick criticals and finish the fight, but no. It's all he "ducks under your slashing attack" from there on. The bush appears from the north and engages you in combat and you feel your stomach churn and twist into a knot.
Maybe it's designed that way? The malign sorcery that powers the thing is designed to hunt you down. It goes after you, never sleeping and never stopping. And when it reaches you, it will hurt you... torture you... (High-five goes to anyone who can identify the Creepypasta I quoted)
I feel genuine fear when I desperately run from the thing. I admit, yes, it is overpowered. But still, the fear factor is so well designed and well placed... I kinda like it this way. For something that can make me feel scared in a game with only text, this is an astonishing accomplishment.
"There is nothing more invigorating than challenging the elements. The feel of wind and spray on one's face and the deck pitching beneath one's feet is the greatest feeling in the world."
And cats. I love cats.
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm

I don't mind that sort of things in zone, but it's a bit out of whack in a low level zone. You're there probably somewhere between level 10-13, thrown up against something you can't possibly win against, and (here's the real kicker) ... probably before you have met very many people in game who can come to recover your corpse.

I almost feel like I should go to the market square, introduce myself to everyone there and then collect names before setting off down the southern road. Just in cases of ... you know ... angry bushes.
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 am

Ungtar wrote:I don't mind that sort of things in zone, but it's a bit out of whack in a low level zone. You're there probably somewhere between level 10-13, thrown up against something you can't possibly win against, and (here's the real kicker) ... probably before you have met very many people in game who can come to recover your corpse.
That's a good point. Hmm... Yeah, let's nerf the bushes.
"There is nothing more invigorating than challenging the elements. The feel of wind and spray on one's face and the deck pitching beneath one's feet is the greatest feeling in the world."
And cats. I love cats.
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:39 am

Heh. I'd be happy if they simply didn't chase you.
Brodnur
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Brodnur » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:12 am

Ungtar wrote:Heh. I'd be happy if they simply didn't chase you.

For me personally, I'm fine with the bushes being somewhat overpowered, as that is part of the risk, as well as an encouragement to group up with friends, but I agree with Ungtar, and pretty much everyone else, in that so long as they don't chase you all's well.
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 am

Brodnur wrote:For me personally, I'm fine with the bushes being somewhat overpowered, as that is part of the risk, as well as an encouragement to group up with friends, but I agree with Ungtar, and pretty much everyone else, in that so long as they don't chase you all's well.
I wouldn't recommend grouping up against that thing. I've seen it rip through the group, causing some of up to get killed, while others ran for their lives. It was terrifying.
And cats. I love cats.
Aldren
Staff
Staff

Post by Aldren » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:50 am

This is what happens when newbies go to Malagan's Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8WyXv7hQvE
"He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine... ...It was hate that drove him. Though he committed many sins, he never sought forgiveness."
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 am

Aldren wrote:This is what happens when newbies go to Malagan's Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8WyXv7hQvE
I literally chortled the whole clip to the point my sister was concerned about me. Too accurate.

I think they're fine. Stay on the path and you'll do well.

Honestly, I'm mostly in favor of people experiencing this kind of difficulty and prepping for it. As some say, the more the merrier. Things like that are how adventures are made. It's not an adventure without the constant thought of looming death.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
faylen
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by faylen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm in agreement that the bushes should be toned down or at least made not to chase. In higher level areas it's fine to have surprise crazy death bringing things like that but for such a low level area it seems extreme. I mean, my level 38 dwarf fighter went in there to rescue someone and in full plate got 12 percent taken off of her by that thing. While that percentage is not much I think it is telling given her level and protections in comparison to the rest of the area where the mobs barely scratch her.

Grouping wouldn't help lowbies much unless a higher level went in with them and even then it's a risk. How would someone new to the area know to stay on the path, particularly if they are looking for something?
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:13 am

I went through this area recently (about a month ago) and did not notice anything out of the normal, has the bush been updated recently or changed? It still seems like the same area its always been.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Benorf
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Benorf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:41 pm

I seem to recall that when I first started playing, the bush wouldn't attack most rounds, or would only get in one attack. Now it has a full round of multiple attacks, and hits like a 2-handed mountain orc on meth
Benorf the Stout, Axe of Torm
Formyndare Mastare, Horn Guard of Yondalla
Thaien Ellbrecht, Planar Interviewer
Terageld
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Terageld » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:17 am

I feel like it makes sence for the bush to be able to easily defeat non-armored foes. Being able to rip through steel half-plate armor with branches is unrealistic.
And cats. I love cats.
Ungtar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Ungtar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Terageld wrote:I feel like it makes sence for the bush to be able to easily defeat non-armored foes. Being able to rip through steel half-plate armor with branches is unrealistic.
As unrealistic as a bush uprooting itself and chasing you through a ruined mansion? :)
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:09 am

Because of its race file this bush had very high STR despite its low level. I have taken some steps to mitigate that which will come into the game with the next update.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons