Current Setting Timeline

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Current Setting Timeline

Post by Beskytter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:52 pm

The setting was last posted in 2013, is there any important update for us that talks about continent discoveries and such?

The main reason I ask is that Thelonius tells new characters about Maztica, Mulhorandi, Chult, etc. Yet, as far as I'm aware, we're still in the dark about Maztica and other such continents.

Did a post get pushed through and I just missed it or are we due for another one?
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Current Setting Timeline

Post by Harroghty » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Maztica is known, but just not available in game. The Maztica supplement came out 24 years ago. (Ouch!)
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Beskytter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:29 am

Awesome, good to know.

24 years? Has it been that long? It came out the same year I did... >.>
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Kaenas
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Kaenas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:19 am

Suppose I can put this here rather than starting a new thread, I was told to ask on the forums for a more definitive answer.

What is the current status of Chessenta?

Specifically, is FK post Rage of Dragons/has Tchazzar taken control of Cimbar, or can the 'Old Empires' sourcebook still be considered accurate regarding the current political situation there?
Skylar
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Skylar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 am

I think Anselmaus is the only character that presently identifies as a Chessentan, so I feel it may do well to leave it to him to flesh that answer out for you. Much of the scenery of the game tends to be static, and political climes often reflect what the user lays atop it. Many things revolve around 1372DR, but that isn't definitive as Kelemvor's Church is post-trial of Cyric while Mystra's seems pre trial of Cyric. 1372DR remains a decent baseline if you research into what was going on in the locale at that time, but I'm interested to see what Anselmaus might chime in on it as I'm not well read on Chessenta.
"Some of us try hard to make the world a better place than it was when we found it. I know that's what I try to do. I won't always be successful, but that's life."
~Kara Zor-El
Areia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Areia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 am

My own understanding of FK's present day Chessenta, Mulhorand, etc. is still based on Old Empires; I've not seen anything in our lore to indicate Tchazzar's return. So that's what my Chessentan plays off of. Would love to be corrected if I'm wrong, though. :D
Nascentes morimur, finisque ab origine pendet.
Aldren
Staff
Staff

Post by Aldren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am

Part of the biggest challenge in trying to RP a Chessentan is just that there are no resources or in-game support beyond a couple of very minor areas. But Skylar is correct in assuming most of what happens on FK is a static or alternate-world of 1372DR. The Spellplague hasn't happened (1385DR), the Rage of Dragons hasn't happened (1373DR), and Cimbar is still assumed to be the capitol of Chessenta. Tchazzar has not returned to Chessenta yet, based on this timeline; so I think it's safe to assume Old Empires can still be taken as canon until the area is fleshed out more in-game.
"He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine... ...It was hate that drove him. Though he committed many sins, he never sought forgiveness."