lower rescue for fighters

Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

lower rescue for fighters

Post by Vaemar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 pm

I propose that the rescue skill be made trainable earlier for the fighter class, at about the same level it is for rangers. I.e. for fighters now it is around 33, like for rogues and priests, while for rangers it is around 12-14.

Reason for this: fighters are the best tankers, and should be able to tank for their weaker comrades even at an earlier level.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: lower rescue for fighters

Post by Vibius » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Yes, a fighter doesn't have many real options in a combat when compared with other classes, that would make them a bit more interesting to play in the lower levels as well.
Areia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Areia » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Agreed.
Nascentes morimur, finisque ab origine pendet.
Thurgan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Thurgan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:19 pm

I too support this. I would recommend having it available at the same level as Rangers. Definitely before lvl 20. I agree wholeheartedly that it would help to encourage grouping at low levels as well as aid the overall play experience for a fighter.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Agreed. I'd drop it to level 10 since thats when most warriors attempt and sometimes succeed to join fighter guilds and also when you start hitting the zones with multiple agro mobs.

If it fails as much as it does at adept, i'd like to put it ina place where lower level characters don't have to spend more than a level's worth of xp to train it up to journeyman since a round's missed rescue can be even deadlier at low levels
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Danik
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Danik » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 pm

Bumping this to say I agree.
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:34 pm

I like this idea as well. My most recent character is a fighter. This game encourages grouping and it is frustrating to be grouped with a wizard or another squishy character and to not be able to do anything when they are getting torn to itty bitty bits.
Ailyn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ailyn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 am

I too support a lower level rescue. My fighter did much on his own, and what he did not, it was with a ranger who rescued him more often then not. It feels bad that the plate wearing, shield wielding tank cannot even attempt to protect others while the leather wearing, dodgy rangers can. And as mentioned, wizards and rogues have it rough when they are focused and have to attempt to flee to drop aggro, which may end up making things even worse. Maybe even around 15 or so, thus a fighter can learn it at around 10 when they are joining a guild normally.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Hadwyn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Hadwyn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:42 am

I definitely support the general theme of this suggestion.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:50 am

So what's the recommendation for a new level requirement? Any downsides anyone can see?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Elerian
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Elerian » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:01 am

Meatshielding is core to the class. The sooner the better. Even if available pre level 10. Let them have some ranks trained to help foster grouping during the lowbie dungeons and quest areas.
Terrock
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Terrock » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:51 am

Looking about, seem the general idea is around level 10 to 15 area. So imma just put put a number and say level 13?
If one wants to forge a better world,
then do not accept the world for what it is,
instead strive toward what it can be.
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:14 am

I think at a minimum it should be lowered 10 levels from where it is now.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 am

Harroghty wrote:So what's the recommendation for a new level requirement? Any downsides anyone can see?
I would set it at the same level it is for rangers. If it does not create any problems with them, it should not for fighters either.
Areia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Areia » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:46 am

My own vote would put it at a level similar to rangers, also, though keep it as-is for all other classes.

I've been thinking hard about some potential downsides to such a change, but I can't come up with really any. It would be a very reasonable change from both OOC and IC standpoints and really has the possibility to make grouping at lower levels at least a little more enjoyable. I guess the only thing I could mention is that making rescue lower for fighters will give fighters more time to practice the skill, and so fighters might eventually have somewhat higher rescue proficiencies on average at mid and high levels. Not a downside per se, only perhaps something for builders and the like to consider.
Nascentes morimur, finisque ab origine pendet.
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 am

The only downside to moving it that I can think of, is that it takes something away to work toward later. Games are not as much fun once there is nothing for you to work toward. I still think this skill should be moved, but think we should keep in mind that we have to leave some things at the higher levels, even if it makes sense that you would be able to learn them sooner!
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:02 am

Isn't price of gear, and grinding weapon and attack skills enough to fill that need for fighters though? Afterall that is what makes a superb fighter from a good one. The rest, disarm, punch kick are kind of immaterial. Or at least, I rarely think about them on any of my fighters. I believe one of my fighters doesn't even know how to disarm. Nor does he have the accompanying feat.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am

I believe these minimal downsides are far outweighed by the benefits of having fighters doing their job earlier. Also the thread has been initially only for fighters. The only other class that could benefit from a similar modification could be, possibly, the paladin, but I am no aware of the level they can train rescue at, and anyway they require so much time and dedication that I doubt this would matter much for them.

Anyway, rescue could just be lowered for warriors in general, so fighters, paladins and rangers are treated equally. I see no particular problems in this, and on the other hand many benefits.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm all for fighters having lower level requirements to train rescue. Meatshields are useful at any level.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Oengus
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Oengus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:50 pm

The only downside is that the flee skill is elusive to train, which would probably be more useful to Fighters at lower levels thrusting themselves in harms way.
Lay your sword unto its sheath, set down your shield, tis time to eat. Butter thy bread and slice thy wurst, rest thy boots upon the hearth! For never was a meal as fine! Bless the mead and mutton, bread and wine.