Low level people and the Amulet of Communication

Kelsey
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Low level people and the Amulet of Communication

Post by Kelsey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Hello.

From what I can tell, when characters over level 4 but under level 10 die, they get teleported back to their recall spot but without their possessions.

This is a problem because if you die over level 10, you will stick around as a spirit, and you are able to send tells as a spirit.

However, if you die under level 10, chances are, you will be completely naked, with everything you wore on your corpse. You are not able to send IC tells, so are not able to ICly seek help so either:

1. End up at market square when there are people there (not always a possibility especially if you die off peak hours) if your hometown is Waterdeep
2. Or end up at some other hometown really far away and pray that people are near enough that yelling would work.

50 kismet for a different surface hometown location ultimately isn't that much--personally it took me 3 RL days to accumulate--so the default recall spot for the other hometown locations could definitely be less populated than market square in Waterdeep.

Could the amulet be special and "soul-bound" under level 10? When you get teleported, and auto ressed without your possessions, your amulet of communication will be your only item equipped when you wake up again.
Areia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Low level people and the Amulet of Communication

Post by Areia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:25 pm

I'd say first that PCs that require kismet to create are supposed to be more difficult in various ways. This may or may not be intended to be one of those. That's why they cost experience, so that in theory players kind of know what they're getting into. I tend to think most kismet costs are actually too low, as I've seen lots of players in the past (myself included) rush into characters with kismet requirements and end up stuck somehow because they might not quite know certain important things by then.

But that aside, I think the easiest fix here, if a fix is desired and necessary, might be just to put a communications amulet on at least one merchant in each of the hometowns. I kind of thought every hometown had a seller of amulets already, but I could be wrong.
Nascentes morimur, finisque ab origine pendet.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Experience or not I have seen also experienced players having this problem. I think Kelsey has a point.
Areia wrote:But that aside, I think the easiest fix here, if a fix is desired and necessary, might be just to put a communications amulet on at least one merchant in each of the hometowns. I kind of thought every hometown had a seller of amulets already, but I could be wrong.
I like this also, since amulets of communication are pretty essential items. I can think of only three hometowns who have amulets and in one of them the merchant is hidden.
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 pm

It's a double-edged sword, on one hand the character won't require raising, on the other you are now naked and probably without a single coin in the bank, and if you were dead you could communicate.

I like the idea of more vendors for amulets of communication, but I have mixed feelings about this. The challenge of having to make-do with your death probably is too much for a genuinely new player. On the other hand, people choose alienated hometowns for whatever reason - the feats, the consistency with their character. The amulets seem like they are a wondrous object. I have enjoyed the challenge of not relying on one with some characters, even losing them and pretending I don't know where to buy another OOCly.

So instead of suggesting a merchant be added, I would recommend more magical posts where there are none. That still offers a new player a chance to reach out for aid, aside from prayer. It may seem old fashioned but it does offer a compromise, even if it's not as conveniently gratifying.
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:09 pm

On second thought.

The merchants that sell general items in new player areas could probably use an amulet of communications added to their goods. That way only people who can enter these areas can buy them.
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 am

What about an NPC paid to shout or deliver the news somehow?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 am

I like the utility of being able to send news to town criers. It had crossed my mind that a new player wouldn't be able to yell or shout themselves, and I am sure there would be checks and balances to keep it from becoming more obnoxious than necessary. (Imagining polymorphed individuals declaring "Lord Rasavir is spiteful and petty!" "Torm saves, and Tempus makes the rebound!")

One idea I had, was a piece of furniture - a crystal orb or larger fixture more unique to each temple - that would allow someone to communicate with either any individuals, an individual of a certain faith, or perhaps even faith members of that temple online.
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 pm

i like the idea of an NPC or an organization of NPCs that spreads news on a renamed channel called rumor / rumors. Player council PCs would be advised to keep this channel on all the time.

A few can be dotted around near to the respawn points of levels 5 to 9. Perhaps sponsored by the prime appropriate church of whatever home town they are in.

There are other uses for these NPCs and there's more to this idea overall but for the purpose of help filling this gap that's all that would be needed.

In practice you are respawned and walk one room and bid the npc to spread word of your plight.
Whoever shows up can rp appropriately how to help you get your stuff back.
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:06 pm

I really like the ideas on the crystals being placed at certain city temples that characters can go to and communicate while in that room? Perhaps an recho with the player activating the orb. Also, the crier idea, I love how the player of Aziza has been doing news from events happening in the game.

You know come to think of it, I think there was a suggestion for the Player Council to have characters, perhaps these could be crier characters that stand around and can do echos letting the mud know someone is seeking help in so and so city. Kudos for the great ideas guys!

Edited to add: Perhaps the criers could have a White flag denoting to give IC reason to communicate with them, and it would be well known in the city who the crier was.
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Lyndin
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Lyndin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm just going to chime in with agreement that this is a real problem. Lyndin got torn to shreds by seemingly infinite waves of rabid wolves, and couldn't ask for help because he didn't have an amulet (or anything else).

Even worse, it was the middle of the night, and all the merchants were closed. By the time they open, everyone he knows has logged off. I'm not sure what the play is in that situation. Reroll? Go do something else for a while? It doesn't seem like there's much alternative.
Talos
Staff
Staff

Post by Talos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Adding it onto the various training area merchants.
A goblin, a trickster, a warrior? A nameless terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. A most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop, hold, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.