EX_NOMOB vs ROOM_NO_MOB

For builders to discuss and ask building questions.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

EX_NOMOB vs ROOM_NO_MOB

Post by Vaemar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:44 pm

What are the differences and implications of the mentioned flags, namely EX_NOMOB vs ROOM_NO_MOB?

I ask in particular to know how mobs behave with them, especially mobs who follow characters, mounts and minions.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: EX_NOMOB vs ROOM_NO_MOB

Post by Harroghty » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 pm

The first means a mobile cannot pass through that exit, the latter means that a mobile cannot be in the flagged room.

I use the exit flags to keep mobiles from wandering out of proper areas (if you have an NPC who is supposed to be a beggar, for example, and you want him to wander the streets but not enter shops) and I use room flags to keep mobiles totally out of a room (a safe room in a combat area, for example, where PCs can rest).

What are you trying to accomplish?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:08 pm

I just wanted to avoid problems/issues and to use the right flag. For now I have been using only ROOM_NO_MOB flags.

For example, given the two options, which of the two makes the mob not chase the character if they shoot at them from afar? If a mob attacks a character, the character flees, will the mob chase even past a no mob exit or a no mob room?

Also, there was one case of three rooms that are nearby the boss of a dungeon, and I wanted the wandering mobs to avoid them at all costs because they fear the boss, so I wondered which of the two is better to realize that.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:12 am

If you want them to not wander, but to pursue then you might use NOWANDER and use different terrain types. This will keep them from certain areas until they need to pursue a PC.

If you want them to respond to a certain other NPC (grovel, etc.) then you might use programs on the NPCs to force them to do so. An entry prog would do the trick. e.g.

Code: Select all

>entry_prog 100~
if mobinroom(1234) > 0
  smote flees from @m1234
  south
endif
~
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:30 am

Harroghty wrote:If you want them to not wander, but to pursue then you might use NOWANDER and use different terrain types. This will keep them from certain areas until they need to pursue a PC.
Oh, yeah, this was what I was looking for. Thanks. :)