Unpickable Doors -- Feature or Oversight?

This forum contains bugs which the test team have been unable to reproduce.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Unpickable Doors -- Feature or Oversight?

Post by Hrosskell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi there. During my recent adventures on a thief, I have come across several doors that are not pickable. This isn't the typical failure result repeated; after one or two attempts, it seems a successful attempt instead results in "This door is not pickable." I know in the past builders sometimes did not remember to add this flag and was wondering if this was the case. I think there may be a couple of other instances of this in areas that came in at a similar time, but even as the world's craftiest breaker-and-enterer I don't use the skill too often and have not completed an exhaustive list.
Jamais arriere.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Unpickable Doors -- Feature or Oversight?

Post by Harroghty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 pm

So, to be clear, you're saying that you can or cannot eventually succeed in opening doors that give the "this door is not pickable" message?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:54 pm

You cannot eventually succeed when that message is returned.

Some doors legitimately are not able to be picked ever, e.g. some doors in temples and probably dwellings. For most other locked doors it should be possible to pick the lock, but a few in some newer areas seem to be missing a flag that allows for that. Or they are incorrectly flagged as being unpickable unless that was deliberate intent from the builder.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:32 am

The new grates/gates/meshes in the WD sewers seem to conform to this. They can be bashed or c 'knock' open, but cannot be picked.
Jamais arriere.
Talos
Staff
Staff

Post by Talos » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:09 am

Exits need to be flagged specifically to be unpickable, so generally this is done by intention. Some meshes for example are built in place and have no locks to pick, but you could still bash them out of their mortaring. Is there a specific grate or grille that indicates it has a lock on it and is unpickable?
A goblin, a trickster, a warrior? A nameless terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. A most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop, hold, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.