Tracking in Waterdeep

Reports on bugs, and questions on if something is a bug.
Aysa
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Tracking in Waterdeep

Post by Aysa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 pm

If a PC with the tracking skill is standing out front of the bank on Market Street and is attempting to track someone that is near one of the "visible" rooms in the Grand Mezzanine of Cynosure Hall (for example, the north gate)... the PC will be guided via the tracking code to the room in the Grand Mezzanine, rather than to the north gate.

So for example, a "trackee" PC is just south of the North Gate of Waterdeep. The "tracker" PC is outside the bank on Market Street and attempts to track "trackee". The tracking code will lead the "tracker" to the room in the Grand Mezzanine that's closest to the "trackee".
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Re: Tracking in Waterdeep

Post by Lirith » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:14 pm

This isn't a bug, track goes via the shortest route to the target which is the case in this example.
Johara
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Johara » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:33 am

I beg to differ. When you get to the Grand Mezzanine, it's more of a "look out" station rather than 'closest' room. From that room, you can't go to the North Gate... you have to go down, and then over to High Road, and then up to the north gate. However, from that room, you can see the North Gate.

It's even worse if the person that you're tracking is one room 'south' of the North Gate. You won't see them, but the code believes your PC can make the hop from the Grand Mezzanine to the North Gate.
McLeach: Did you take one of my eggs?

Johara, with an egg in her shut mouth, shakes her head no

McLeach: Open your mouth.

Johara opens her mouth, moving the egg on her tongue to the side and hiding it from view

McLeach: These are NOT... Johara's Eggs!
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 am

It still isn't a bug with track. The game doesn't take account whether your PC being able to move from room to room when tracking, it just returns the shortest route to the target.

Althasizor has posted a suggestion of how this might be addressed since it's the mezzanine room itself that causes the annoyance.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm

The mezzanine works by having exits to those other rooms which you are prevented from using. So it looks like a window, but it is still an exit. Track is not differentiating along the route; it may not be advanced enough to do so.

In any case, I've made a temporary fix by removing the mezzanine. Let me know please what impact this has.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Johara
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Johara » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 am

It fixes the problem... but at the expense of having a "look out" tower. I thought the Mezzanine was a cool idea. It's only when track is used does it become a problem.

:(
McLeach: Did you take one of my eggs?

Johara, with an egg in her shut mouth, shakes her head no

McLeach: Open your mouth.

Johara opens her mouth, moving the egg on her tongue to the side and hiding it from view

McLeach: These are NOT... Johara's Eggs!
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm

There are some other solutions. For now, this is the easiest to implement in the short term.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons