Screen Readers and FK

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Screen Readers and FK

Post by Harroghty » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Players who use screen readers, what are some best practices we can collect into a help file? e.g. game settings like CONFIG +BRIEF or outside tools like best free screen readers, etc.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Mers
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: Screen Readers and FK

Post by Mers » Fri May 29, 2020 7:26 pm

1. Config +brief always

2. Config +gag always

3. Take your time. Outside of Combat, FK is not really a faste paced environment where you can't take a few extra seconds to tab up into your output and re-read/ skim room descs or NPC interactions.

4. turn off all Vt interfacing

5. Even when practiced, remember to config -swim. it will save you from accidentally walking into a river when you don't mean to.

6. when on the world map, liberally use roads and the exits command to avoid getting lost. or look where you mean to go before moving. When you're ready to tackle the ASCII map, use glance instead of look to cut out the room description.

7. In my experience, liberal use of the ctrl + right arrow / CTRL+ left arrow keystroke can rapidly speed up your reading of the world map as it will skip the simple characters right to the question marks or slashes that indicate roads and points of interest

I also found my old soundpack for VIPMUD which is a great boon towards cutting out combat spam. Might any of the staff be interested in keeping a copy of it so if I take another Hiatus it is still available?