[Spell Suggestion] Curse Item

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

[Spell Suggestion] Curse Item

Post by Alitar » Thu May 28, 2020 4:32 am

I think a cleric/paladin/wizard spell of 'Curse Item' would be interesting, something that would allow the no_remove flag to be applied to an item requiring the remove curse spell to be able to remove it. I think this would be a great spell for roleplay, whether leaving items around to mess with people as an evil wizard, or charging binds to lock together the hands of such a wizard following an arrest.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Mers
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: [Spell Suggestion] Curse Item

Post by Mers » Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 am

Seconded

I recall a 3.5 lore book describing security spells that the city guards of various settlements had developed. The only one I actually remember was from Mythdrannor pre-weeping war and would force you to stop running away or make you feel like thin wires were digging into your legs.

This would also be a great addition if given to an item that could also apply the flag onto a weapon so we could have locked gauntlets.
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Putting aside the potential for abuse of this, I could see an evil cleric or wizard finding a use for this sort of a spell, but why would a paladin want to curse an object or use any sort of a curse spell?
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu May 28, 2020 11:24 pm

One idea was was bindings or restraints etc. Handcuffs.
I suppose Mers makes a good point that if applied to a weapon it would prevent disarm, so unless that was an established appropriate use that could be abuse. That said, a gauntlet that applied it to a weapon does sound like an interesting idea as well, I feel like that idea was thrown around in the past with a grip gauntlet though. Kinda unrelated.

Paladins have their own version of "curse" in canon, and personally I think they should have the curse spell here for RP reasons. Many Paladins have a punitive approach to evil rather than a cut and dry "mercy or death" approach.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Grenwyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Grenwyn » Fri May 29, 2020 1:06 am

I think this purpose is generally better served with specific items than a generic curse spell.

Another player can't be mechanically forced to wear the restraints except through the power of roleplay or an appropriate program on the item, so if they're willing to roleplay being put in restraints I think it's reasonable to expect them to roleplay being unable to remove them.

As a Witchdoctah, I love the idea of being able to curse items, but being unable to remove the item isn't a terribly interesting curse. If they are willing to try wearing the item, it probably doesn't look obviously evil. If the item isn't detrimental mechanically (reducing strength) or socially (an evil-looking tattoo, crown, etc.), it's just a minor inconvenience.
Kalahani Ka'uhane
Gottschalk, Witchdoctah
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Fri May 29, 2020 1:44 am

I wouldn't really want for it to be a terrible inconvenience. And fair point, they're RPing putting the item on, doubtful they'd not RP its later removal. I was mostly aiming at some sort of mirror to the bless item idea but it does seem pointless when examined more thoroughly.
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri May 29, 2020 2:13 am

To Mers's point, a sword with the noremove flag can still be disarmed. I just tested it.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons