Character Backgrounds

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tofuergus
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Character Backgrounds

Post by Tofuergus » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:14 pm

As part of many different other muds, I've had to create a backstory for my character in order to get approved.
Since our Imms want to promote more IC and roleplay and can tailor towards characters, I was wondering why the Forgotten Kingdoms staff does not do this? I mean I know I am not the only person who actually comes up with a simple page long backstory of how my character came to be where they started their journey in the world of Toril.

I think this may also help get new players involved into the community, since it has dwindled over time I think keeping plots and stories for all characters not just the "good guys" who I like to call the "Goonies" (a nod to one my fav 80s movies) We make descriptions required before going into the world and roleplaying perhaps we should think about having a backstory that would make the staff aware of how a character is going to roleplay and how they could tailor events and bring arch-plots into the game. Just wondering how the community felt about this, or any thoughts or suggestions on the matter.
Aldren
Staff
Staff

Re: Character Backgrounds

Post by Aldren » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:23 am

FWIW the "BIO" command works. You can create your own backstory or biography which is visible to Immortals. I use this feature for all of my characters with the understanding that staff is unrequired to treat me like a snowflake.
"He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine... ...It was hate that drove him. Though he committed many sins, he never sought forgiveness."
Tofuergus
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Tofuergus » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:06 am

This should be mentioned in the starting of a new character so new players know this too, totally did not know about this command, lol another player told me to send in an application with my background. Much appreciated about this Aldren, *Thumbs up*
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:22 am

Frankly in over a decade of immhood I've found out much more information from roleplaying with other players as my mortals in public places than I ever have from a bio.

While I appreciate the sentiment I very much do not appreciate the passive aggressive tone behind it. Yes. We expect you to roleplay here. It's been very clear for very long.

No, a bio will not incite a world changing roleplay because - as said by staff already - we are not currently able to alter the world, build or code. Regardless, a single player's bio would not likely do so anyhow.,

We do our best to otherwise breathe life into the game. I will not tolerate behavior that makes poorly off staff members doing the best with the tools they have.

The game is best played when we each worry about our own PC's and roleplay.
Beshaba potatoes.
Tofuergus
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Tofuergus » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:32 pm

There was no passive aggresive tone behind it, but if we want to talk about gas-lighting and spotlighting we can...

I think that is likely the problem some people on the staff might have had driving off players and the player base. Being accused of being passive aggressive is not very sincere in trying to create such a place- and I have always said straight off what I have thought and how I felt. No underhanded comments made, I've learned the most by roleplaying with people as well, but the tools the staff have should be utilized to make such enviroment great for all players not just a few.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Tofuergus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:14 pm Since our Imms want to promote more IC and roleplay
The context behind this comment is what makes this passive aggressive and while normally I would ignore this kind of thing, making a post with a comment specifically to dig into some immortal feedback, the feedback wasn't from me and I am not living to see the other party receive this sort of side handed jaded rebuttle in the public space we have.

You can speak about me as much as you'd like. You do not know any other members of the current staff. So no, they did not 'gaslight and spotlight' people off of the MUD.

I will be locking this thread as it is not productive and highlights an option already in the game to begin with.
Beshaba potatoes.