Priestly Power - from where?

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Priestly Power - from where?

Post by Lerytha » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:26 pm

Where does priestly power come from?

Well, at the moment, one of my characters is unsure of what faith to follow. This means he is wandering around, gaining levels and learning prayers, and casting them. This is a post that aims to ask two questions:

Am I allowed to level without a faith

If I am, what do I RP my power coming from?

Thank you for your time!
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:45 pm

Usually a priest will be alot more focused on their faith than a normal faithful (hence why they are priests), so I am going to assume that at this stage your priests has it narrowed down to 2-3 Gods at most, all of which are probably overlapping or very similar, but there is some RP reason holding you back, perhaps a personal quest or whatnot.

Now a priests prayers are not all handled by a God. Gods have many underlings and servants who do these tasks for them. Being intelligent and powerful beings themselves, many will take an interest in an up and coming priest and perhaps grant their prayers in an effort to bend them towards their diety. Sometimes it can even be a God or their servants acting as another God to cause their own mischiefs. Shar for example grants spells to Ibrandul followers even though she killed Ibrandul and took her portfolios. She does it just ebcause it amuses her.

There are many ways you can go to facilitate your RP, but if its just because you are undecided then I would either a> step away from the charecter for a bit and make the decision or b> Opt to give a standardised answer, in that if anyone asks you would respond that obviously the ones you seek are watching out for you for they know you will soon be fully on their path.

Hope that helps
S.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:47 pm

Yes, that did help, thank you. :lol:
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?