Regional characteristics for the races of Faerun

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Regional characteristics for the races of Faerun

Post by Kirkus » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:47 pm

I have been looking for descriptions of how people from each region of Faerun look, dress and so on. But I have found very little information. My reasons for starting this post are, well, so someone else might be able to help me find what I am looking for, and others in our little family might be able to come to this post and find some general traits of say a man from Calimshan or the Heartlands. This could help with making more interesting descriptions for both mobs and characters.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Aran
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Aran » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:28 pm

You should go pick up a copy of Races of Faerun. It lists all of the human races, dwarf races, etc. It even tells a little about what they look like, their general demeanor, and that sort of stuff. I don't know of any online outlets to go to at the moment, but a google search might prove useful if you haven't tried that already.
'And Athon said "Let there be LIGHT!" so Aran flipped the switch...'
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:44 am

So races of Faerun gives all of the good stuff on the people of Turmish and Calimshan and the Moonsea? Like it might say the Fold of Turmish are dark brown skinned and predominantly have black hair. And it talks about clothing and dialect? If it does I will have to check it out.

But I still thing we should have a little info here just so those that don't have the big pile of books or don't want/ can't afford to buy them can still better their character. I personally will get the book but some people just won't do that.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:00 am

This has actually been posted elsewhere on the boards:
http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Edain/Main.htm

It's an awesome site and I love it. It covers everything from Calishites to Northmen in a very concise and attractive way, and I found it very useful.

Then, of course, there's always the help file in the game, which summarizes everything nicely.

-El-
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:25 am

Thanks that was exactily what I was looking for.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:52 pm

Also There is an FR campaign expansion book called Empires of the Shining Sea. It is available on the internet (I think it is a paid download.) It covers everything from History to individual traditions in the region. It may be overkill to some, but has a WEALTH of information. :D

Happy research!
"The Banna"
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:49 am

What nations does it cover?
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:22 pm

It covers Calimshan, The Land of the Lions ( Arnaden , Erlkazar and the Omlarandin Mountians, Deepwash and and Wintercloak rivers and Goldenplains) and The lake of Steam.

I hope that is helpful. There is a LOT of material covered ( 192 pages) If there is something specific I didnt cover for you please let me know :D

Fortune's smile!
"The Banna"
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm

That will be very usefull. But I am also looking for that sort of indepth description of areas a little further north. Specifically Waterdeep and Zhentil Keep. And of course, the surrounding areas of those cities.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:20 pm

Races of Faerun is your best bet then..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.